Views
Helpful
Replies

ATA 188 basic Configuration

anguyen
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I'm trying to configure an ATA 188 but I am unsure of which image to use. Currently I have 2 2811's with FXS modules and analog phones attached that I am able to make calls between one router and the other without any problems. But I am unsure of how to setup the ATA and I don't have cisco call manager. This is just a lab setup, so it is not connected to the PSTN. I tried setting up the SIP image and plugging it into an etherswitch on one of the routers, but I don't get a dial-tone. I know this is a basic Voip question, but if someone could assist.

Thanks,

Alicia

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Is the number local to this router? Is there an outgoing dial peer for 555000.? You can turn on "debug voip dialpeer" to see what dial peers are being matched.

Brandon

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Brandon Buffin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Alicia,

In this scenario, I would recommend using the h.323 image for your ATA. See the following link regarding configuration.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cata/186_188/2_15/english/administration/guide/h323/h3288CH3.html

Hope this helps. If so, please rate the post.

Brandon

Brandon,

I setup the ATA with the h.323 image. Do I need to have an h.323 gatekeeper and gateway - I read they do not have to be setup. My ATA is on a switch off of one of the routers. I setup the other router's dial-peer to route calls to the number to the ATA. The phone attached to the ATA rings, but then hangs up. I also cannot make any calls without getting a busy signal. I know I am missing configuring something here - I am not sure where I'd setup the dial plan for the ATA. If I don't have a gatekeep do I need to have CCM?

Thanks,

Alicia

Alicia,

You will need a gateway (one of your 2811s) to point the ATA to. The gateway will need to have an incoming and outgoing dial peer that matches the numbers you call from the ATA. The problem with incoming calls to the ATA sounds like a codec problem. Try changing the codec on the dial peer pointing to the ATA to g.711 with the dial peer command "codec g711ulaw".

Brandon

Brandon,

The problem with the incoming calls on the ATA was indeed a codec issue. I've made some changes to my routers, and now I can dial from the FXS port on the ATA to the FXS ports on the same router. But I cannot make calls to the FXS ports on the other router (even though I can receive from them.) I was not sure how to do the incoming dial-peer for the ATA since it's not POTS. I ended up adding the switchport of the ATA to a voice VLAN (which enabled me to place calls to that router's FXS port.) Could you take a look at my router configs please?

Thanks,

Alicia

Alicia,

You will need an incoming dial peer such as:

dial-peer voice 1 voip

incoming called-number 111000.

This is assuming you are calling a number 1110000 - 1110009. Your dial peer will also need the correct codec. After hitting the incoming dial peer, the call will match an outgoing dial peer with the destination-pattern command.

Brandon

Brandon,

I configured the incoming dial peer on Router 1 as (this the ATA gateway)

dial-peer voice 300 voip

incoming called-number 555000.

But I still cannot dial the 555000. numbers from the ATA. I just get a fast busy. Are there any more parameters I need in the incoming dial-peer?

Alicia

Is the number local to this router? Is there an outgoing dial peer for 555000.? You can turn on "debug voip dialpeer" to see what dial peers are being matched.

Brandon

Brandon,

Can this work with an MGCP GW, we have configured the ATA, but it doesn't appear to know what to do with the digits.

cheers

Colin

Colin,

If you have an MGCP gateway, I'm assuming it's registered to CCM. If so, load the SCCP image on the ATA and register it to CCM. It will register just like any other phone.

Brandon

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: