cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Max numbers off routes on asa 5505

alarsen
Level 1
Level 1

Can anyone tell me how many routes a 5505 can contain.

Our sales guys have sent one costumer a ASA5505 and would like us to announce 6k routes though this via ospf.

Is this possible at all?? What is the limitation off the box.

/Arne

3 Replies 3

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Arne

I have not tried to do anything quite like this myself and perhaps someone who has will add their opinion. I believe that the real limitation would be the memory consumption on the ASA. As the low end box in the ASA product line I would question whether the ASA5505 was appropriate for an organization that wants to advertise 6k routes through the ASA. I would hope that either there might be a way to redesign so that the number of routes in the ASA was reduced, or that a firewall with more resources might be deployed.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

I don't normally chime in with 'me too!' type posts, but in this case I have to as I agree entirely with Rick's post. Although the ASA 5505 is a great box it is really intended for SOHO type deployments.

In the event that the network topology really requires the advertisement of so many routes, I think that an ASA 5510 would be more appropriate.

Thanks a lot. It was just what I wanted to hear.

I been telling our sales guys my self that this doesn't scale at all.

Thanks for your input.

/Arne

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: