Catalyst 4510R just stopped working

Unanswered Question
Dec 17th, 2007
User Badges:

Last week we had one of our 4510's go down. When it 'died' all network functionality died. The strange part is this....there was no indication of a problem anywhere. There was no syslog messages indicating a problem, there was not any error lights on the switch itself. If I were not actually connected to the switch I would have never thought that anything had happened. No traffic was passing at a layer 2 level. I could not connect to any hosts on my subnet or on any other network for that matter. The switch just seemed to stop processing frames. I was hoping to go into the switch closet and see a power failure, but everything looked to be normal...not that you can see a lot from the nights but nothing was abnormal. I power-cycled the switch and everything came back up without issue.

The switch is running with the dual Sup V-10GE 10GE engines, 5 - 48pt gig Ethernet cards...your basic VLAN and layer 3 routing using all static routes.

Has anyone ever seen/heard of this kind of thing happening with these 4500's?

Thanks

Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
mparella Mon, 12/17/2007 - 08:27
User Badges:

We have a similar setup and experienced the same problem. In particluar we had this happen when we issued simple "show run" command from a ssh session. Just showed up out of the blue, too.

Initially TAC thought it was a bug, but determined it was Sup engine hardware/chipset problem. We swapped it out with a replacement and it has been great ever since. We are looking to get a redundant engine since to avoid issues like this in the future. Good luck!

Actions

This Discussion