cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Catalyst 4510R just stopped working

dsinnett30
Level 1
Level 1

Last week we had one of our 4510's go down. When it 'died' all network functionality died. The strange part is this....there was no indication of a problem anywhere. There was no syslog messages indicating a problem, there was not any error lights on the switch itself. If I were not actually connected to the switch I would have never thought that anything had happened. No traffic was passing at a layer 2 level. I could not connect to any hosts on my subnet or on any other network for that matter. The switch just seemed to stop processing frames. I was hoping to go into the switch closet and see a power failure, but everything looked to be normal...not that you can see a lot from the nights but nothing was abnormal. I power-cycled the switch and everything came back up without issue.

The switch is running with the dual Sup V-10GE 10GE engines, 5 - 48pt gig Ethernet cards...your basic VLAN and layer 3 routing using all static routes.

Has anyone ever seen/heard of this kind of thing happening with these 4500's?

Thanks

1 Reply 1

mparella
Level 1
Level 1

We have a similar setup and experienced the same problem. In particluar we had this happen when we issued simple "show run" command from a ssh session. Just showed up out of the blue, too.

Initially TAC thought it was a bug, but determined it was Sup engine hardware/chipset problem. We swapped it out with a replacement and it has been great ever since. We are looking to get a redundant engine since to avoid issues like this in the future. Good luck!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card