Views
Helpful
Replies

"Authorization Failed" Error recovering 3750 password

larryfocust
Level 1
Level 1

trying to recover password on a

3750-48TS-E. i initialized the flash, loaded helper, renamed config.text, etc,etc, now when i try to configure teminal i get an "Authorization Failed" error...........what to do?

13 Replies 13

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

After renaming the config.text and doing the 'boot', the running-configuration should be empty.

Is that the case here ?

Did you copy the renamed config to running-config ?

If so, it will bring the AAA configuration into running-configuration.

Do a more flash:[config.file], copy the configuration onto an editor and remove the authentication part, then paste the modified configuration into running-config.

yes i renamed and copied the config to running config. i've never done a more flash:[config.file], how to?

more is a command to display the content of the file in the router's CLI.

dir flash:config.text

Directory of flash:/config.text

5 -rwx 2129 Mar 1 1993 00:02:50 +00:00 config.text

sw1#more flash:config.text

!

version 12.2

no service pad

service timestamps debug uptime

service timestamps log uptime

no service password-encryption

!

Larry

I am a bit confused about what is going on. As Edison has pointed out if you rename the config file and boot then you should come up with an essentially empty config (especially the config should not have aaa authorization commands in it). But the symptoms of getting authorization failed would indicate that that it is executing aaa authorization commands. Can you clarify the steps that you have taken that lead to these symptoms?

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hi Rick, well,

flash_init

load_helper

then I check "dir flash:"

rename flash:config.text flash:config.text.old

boot

type "no" for config dialog

type "enable"

rename flash:config.text.old flash:config.text

copy flash:config.text system:running-config

Source filename [config.text]?

Destination filename [running-config]?

Press Return

configure terminal

that is when I get the Authorization Failed error. plus when I try the "more" command, i get the same error

Larry

Thanks for the additional information. I believe that the issue is that when you do this step:

copy flash:config.text system:running-config

that it brings the original config, including its aaa authentication and aaa authorization commands into the running config. And there is some issue with the aaa authorization command.

I wonder if the solution might be to do a copy and paste of parts of the original config (to get the functions that you need) and to make appropriate modifications in the aaa commands before you paste them into the running config?

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Larry,

Please follow these steps in your instructions:

flash_init

load_helper

then I check "dir flash:"

rename flash:config.text flash:config.text.old

boot

type "no" for config dialog

type "enable"

more flash:config.text.old

copy and paste the output onto notepad

remove the aaa entries

copy and paste the modified config onto the router in configuration mode

then do a write memory

No need to rename the file back.

Ed, the output is QUITE long. Is there an easier way to capture the complete file than to copy/paste screen by screen?

larry

Your terminal application should give you an option to save the output to a file.

Ed, i got it but the file is 20 pages long.

it list a revision history, new switch steps,misc global controls,ip specific global commands,spanning tree global commands, aaa new-model (!defined shared key)(!ordinary logins)(!priv access)(!require Authorization WHENEVER user issues a command)(aaa auth network)(aaa auth exec)(aaa accounting exec)then all commands per port........

On that file, just remove the aaa entries and copy and paste it back onto the switch while in configuration mode.

Thanks Ed, I'll give it a shot............

Thanks for all the help.........

Ed, Rick, Thanks for all the help. I can finally get this thing off my bench.

Larry

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card