cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

5510 Internal to External Communication problems

jamesk1792
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all. I'm working on setting up a small companies network, and my main background is Enterprise MCSE type activities so you'll have to excuse my easy questions.

I've configured a 5510 about 5 times now using the GUI and each time has resulted with the same problem.

My inside and outside interfaces don't communicate. Outside is good to Verizon, and inside is good to the LAN, but no cross talk.

I read this thread, http://forum.cisco.com/eforum/servlet/NetProf?page=netprof&forum=Security&topic=Firewalling&CommCmd=MB%3Fcmd%3Ddisplay_location%26location%3D.2cbeded2

I don't have access to my show run remotely yet, but it sounds like that may fix my issues as well?

Does this sound right?

v/r

Jim

6 Replies 6

acomiskey
Level 10
Level 10

Definitely need to see the config.

I won't have access to it until tomorrow.

I'm under the impression that I need some type of route between the two. I was suprised that it wasn't configured by default.

Is there anything I should look for in my config offhand that enables the two interfaces to communicate? I'm just trying to go in tomorrow with more information than I left with yesterday.

ie:

static (Internal,External) 64.179.10.29 192.168.0.x netmask 255.255.255.255

static (Internal,External) 64.179.10.32 192.168.0.x netmask 255.255.255.255

Thanks again, I'll work on getting the config.

So inside hosts cannot access the internet?

Correct.

-Everything inside can ping my "inside" interface, and my "inside" can ping servers on the lan.

-I can ping the external DNS servers and such at verizon from my "Outside" interface in the gui.

-I can't ping the "inside" interface from the "outside" interface from the gui, and vice versus.

External is 65.213.212.130 which pings out fine.

Internal is 192.168.7.1

No cross communication.

Shouldn't need much more than..

global (outside) 1 interface

nat (inside) 1 0 0

Thanks. That should be easy enough.

Is this something you always have to go into the command line to enter?

I did the wizard from scratch a good 5 times and I would have thought that it would route the outside 0/0 to port 0/1 that I am running my internal off of.

Thank you very much for your time.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card