Views
Helpful
Replies

MPLS Simulation

m-abooali
Level 4
Level 4

Hi everyone,

I posted a question yesterday but I beleive it was inder a different category. I am re-phrasing my question as I didn't have enough information yesterday.

I am trying to simulate a MPLS cloud to capture some MPLS generated traffic and was thinking it may be possible the same way we configure a router as FraeRelay switch and start passing th eframe traffic, so In the same fashion creating PE and CE routers and start generating MPLS traffic in a test environment?

Ok, I really don't know if this is possible at all but if someone please has any information on how to create such test environment and share that information with me, I certainly appreciate that. I can use all the help i can get. I am planning to use three Cisco Routers for this test.

Please advise.

Regards,

Mike

6 Replies 6

nordick26
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Mike,

if you want to set up just a basic MPLS environment, configure 2 PE routers connected together and on the on those interfaces put:

mpls label protocol ldp [or "tdp"]

tag-switching ip [or "mpls ip" which is equivalent]

Configure some different subnets on both PEs {e.g. loopbacks} so that you cas see a labes assigned to that subnets.

To see labes assigned:

sh mpls forwarding-table

sh mpls ldp bin detail

Regards

Ivan

[rate any helpful posts]

Ivan,

Thanks very much for your response and being right to the point. I will not have any problems getting th ethree routers but I would appreciate it if you could elaborate a little more as for the baisc configuration on those routers before I put the MPLS config on top of it.

do I need to make them BGP speakers and then MPLS on top of it?

OR just normal basic MPLS VPN setup with static IPs on all those routers?

Please elaborate a little more since I havenot done the MPLS part in the past although I have worked on backbone routers configured for MPLS cloud but not something that I have done from scratch.

Please advise.

Thx,

Mike

ekhoo
Level 1
Level 1

m-abooali,

You can simulate FR switch/cloud using Cisco router with serial interface. Once you have completed L2 FR core config. You can easily simulate MPLS network.

As you can see the FR switch config sample below, this FR switch router has two serial interfaces. one to router 1 and the other to router 2. As well as that, each interface has two DLCI/pvc.

This FR switch router will act like a switch which switch FR traffic between DLCI.

router 1 and 2 would be normal edge router with normal FR configuration.

!

interface Serial2/0

description Connected to Router-1

no ip address

encapsulation frame-relay

clock rate 64000

frame-relay intf-type dce

frame-relay route 102 interface Serial2/1 201

frame-relay route 112 interface Serial2/1 211

!

interface Serial2/1

description Connected to Router-2

no ip address

encapsulation frame-relay

clock rate 64000

frame-relay intf-type dce

frame-relay route 201 interface Serial2/0 102

frame-relay route 211 interface Serial2/0 112

!

regards,

sean khoo

hi Sean,

thanks for getting back to me. I want to simulate MPLS between a few routers and capture MPLS generated traffic and not FR.

Thanks,

Mike

keeleym
Level 5
Level 5

Hi All

I would also be interested in knowing what equipment (Routers, Interface types, IOS version, memory/flash requirements etc) is required to create a lab on which one could get some practice with MPLS configuration.

From looking around the web & Cisco's site it seems that 2600, 3600 and 4500 routers (all of which I have) support MPLS though I am not sure which IOS is required. I have read that 12.4 is required and I have also read that 12.2 or 12.3 is sufficient.

If any of the CCIE's or CCIP's who have used MPLS in a home lab could provide any information, it would be very much appreciated. Also if you have any recommendations on study/configuration material.

P.S. This is something I have just come across that I found useful and might also be of use to the original poster.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk436/tk428/technologies_configuration_example09186a0080093f23.shtml#req

Best Regards,

Michael

You would atleast require 4 routers to simulate a MPLS VPN...

Have a look at dynamips tosimulate routers

http://www.ipflow.utc.fr/index.php/Cisco_7200_Simulator

Here's a link for basic MPLS VPN configfuration

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/105/mpls_vpn_basic.html

HTH

Narayan

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco