Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Recycling a C100...

Hi,

We just swapped our 2 x C100s with 2 x C150s.

We're keeping the old machines, but were thinking about recycling them as W2k3 or *BSD servers. Is this easily done? Has anyone here reinstalled an IrPt? Any tips on how to do it would be greatly appreciated.

--magnus

5 Replies 5

Donald Nash
Level 3
Level 3

This is just speculation on my part, but since the IronPort hardware is just a standard x86 server system (last I heard, Dell was their hardware supplier), you shouldn't have any problems repurposing the hardware to a different OS. My only concern is the BIOS. I've actually booted a C60 with a VGA and keyboard attached (you have to remove a cover plate to get to the connectors), because it was having a problem with its RAID and I wanted to get into the RAID controller's firmware to poke around. The BIOS looked pretty standard, and I suspect that it's the same BIOS that Dell puts in their own Dell-branded systems (with the boot-time logo changed, of course), but there's no way for me to be sure.

You will have one hurdle to overcome: no optical drive. But that shouldn't bee too hard to remedy.

Please also remember that your appliances will be out of support once you modify anything with the hardware and software. If those two appliances have not already been RMA'd and are still in support, you should think about setting up a lab for testing new features and such.

IIAGDTRnSC
Level 1
Level 1

Please also remember that your appliances will be out of support once you modify anything with the hardware and software. If those two appliances have not already been RMA'd and are still in support, you should think about setting up a lab for testing new features and such.

I haven't looked into this yet, but does Ironport offer any sort of trade/in or trade/up program? I have a C100 that I am very pleased with, but at some point as it ages or new stuff is released I'm I'll need to look into an upgrade. The reason I even have an IronPort is my MailSweeper software was up for renewal and their appliance was way more expensive than the IronPort. Always opportunity in adversity!

- Richard

Donald Glynn
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Richard,

There is a program. Please contact your IronPort Sales Team.

IIAGDTRnSC
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks, will do when the time comes.

Richard, 

There is a program. Please contact your IronPort Sales Team.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: