cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Managing 2950 Switches

insccisco
Level 1
Level 1

hey guys, I have 4 2950s and 2 Vlans in them. I have IPed all the switches in the 10.10.10.0/24 network

I often find myself logging into any of the switches to change the VLAN on a port so the PC can get into either of the 2 VLANS we have.

VLAN 1 is the default one, so I have disabled it on all switches.

VLAN 2 is at 10.10.10.0/24

VLAN 3 is at 10.10.20.0/24

Sometimes I get a request that a certain PC needs to go from VLAN 2 to VLAN 3, so I am provided with the MAC address of of the PC and I have to manually login to the switches and look for it. If I am lucky, I can find the mac address at the first switch I log in to (I do sh mac-address)

Is there an easier way of doing this?

thanks

9 Replies 9

Collin Clark
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Log into the switch and then ping the address. Then so a show arp | inc [ip address]. Then do a show mac-address address [mac address]. It will tell you the port or it will show it's on the connection to the other switch. On the other switch do the show mac-address address [mac address] and it will show the port. Here's a link that explains it with examples.

http://kb.packetpros.com/kb.asp?a=show&ID=16

HTH and please rate.

If you're proficient in administering Linux; you could use "Tracker" from the COSI website:

http://cosi-nms.sourceforge.net/alpha-progs.html

HTH

Steve

this is pretty good. I have not used Linux, but I thik it is time now :)

this is exactly what I have been doing so basically I am looking for a shorter method.

I know there exist something called Domain withing switches, so I want to think there is a way for a network admin to login to just one router and be able to tell where a PC is without jumping/telnetting into all the switches until the PC is found.

The Solarwinds Engineer Toolset has toos that can help. www.solarwinds.net

ccbootcamp
Level 7
Level 7

Have you thought of doing any type of routing between the VLANs using a router on a stick approach?

-brad

www.ccbootcamp.com

(please rate the post if this helps!)

I do have 2 VLANs and I will have more. Currently, I have different routers being present in te different VLANs.

What is router on a stick? is that where you trunk the router to the switch instead of having a physical interface from the router (or routers) to server as the default gateway in each VLAN?

Router on a stick is when you connect one router to a switch that has two or more vlans.You configure subinterfaces on the fastethernet on the router and these subinterfaces will be the default gateways of your vlans on the switch

ohassairi
Level 5
Level 5

if you have money buy ciscoworks LMS and user its tracker tool.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card