cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Tool to monitor CPU and Memory of Cisco 877?

jamesgonzo
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, is there a free tool to monitor in real time if possible the CPU and memory of my cisco 877?

I normally use "sh processes cpu history" but wondered if I could just get a PC to SNMP to it and my life a bit easier? I tried PRTG Traggic Grapher but it would only show the interfaces for ADSL (about 10 of them) and the FE ports etc no memory or CPU mibs.

Thanks in advance.

5 Replies 5

Collin Clark
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

A purchased version of PRTG will show CPU and memory. For real-time you can use PRTG or Solarwinds Engineer Toolset. Neither free, but they provide the easiest interface.

Agree, and of course an open source tool would do the same with a minimum configuration, to poll the OID you want.

Anyway, is also believed that sane routers, especially if simple like an 800, need no monitoring :)

It's more for learning than in anything else, if the basics are learn't then this can be applied to any level.

I had an 837 and in VPN mode it never went above 1mb on the tunnel and it was a 8mb ADSL line, it wasn't until I checked the cpu that it ws up near 100% as I believe the router was struggling to keep up with the encryption.

The 877 is much better, so I beleive monitoring is needed, I just want to do some bench marking side by side.

Oh well if these simple routers are not worth monitoring I guess I'm on my own :S

I guess a low-cost version would be "show proc cpu". It shows 5 second, 1 minute, and 5 minute averages. Also look at "show proc cpu history" for ASCII graphs of the CPU utilization. If the CPU is at 100% and your session is sluggish you might want to consider the "scheduler interval 500" command.

The scheduler interval command allows low priority processes to be scheduled every 500 usec, and thereby allows some commands to be typed even if CPU usage is at 100%.

Hi, I already use those commands (in my first post :))

But the "scheduler interval 500" sounds like a useful command to know of thanks.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card