cert or study guide

Unanswered Question
Dec 18th, 2007

Hello all ciscocians

Can someone please tell me which is better, the study guide or the exam cert guide for BSCI and BCMSN.

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
tkstkstks Tue, 12/18/2007 - 11:10

Study Guide -- Tells you in details with examples.

Cert Guide -- Teaches the Technology.

It depends on how depth you want.

Hi There

As mentioned above both books cover the course material, just from different angles. IMHO use both. Also if you are serious about learning this stuff for your CCNP certification and going further with your Cisco certification, then check out the following.

1 Routing TCP/IP vol 1 & 2 by Jeff Doyle

2 CCIE Routing and Switching (3rd Edition) by Wendell Odom

3. Internet Routing Architectures (2nd Edition, The BGP Bible) by Sam Halabi

If you can get through and understand the material in these books you should have no problems with your CCNP and be well on the way to your CCIE Written preparation :)

Best Regards,

Danilo Dy Wed, 12/19/2007 - 04:49

Study Guide focus specifically on Technology. If you don't know or unsure of the technology yet, you need this book.

Certification Guide focus specifically on the objectives of the exam. If you already know the technology and planning to sit for the exam, you need this book plus hands-on for simulation questions.

Good Luck!

srue Wed, 12/19/2007 - 05:29

Ciscopress states that the self study guides are basically for people with less experience (hence those series of books go way in depth about topics). The cert exam guides, are typically straight to the point of what you need to know for the exam, and according to CP, are for late stage preparation. I've used both throughout my studies and have never had any trouble passing an exam with just using one or the other (instead of both).

I personally don't mind all the 'fluff' in the self study guides, but it does make them a bit lengthy, and i probably woudln't recommend those if you already have trouble staying focused.

this link might help, if you haven't already seen it.

This Discussion