cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RSTP ,PVST+ and RPVST

The_guroo_2
Level 2
Level 2

Gusy i have been studying these concept whole day today and it is making me nuts....can someone lease help m eout in easy language....now i know what is RSTP....cuz there were probems an dblabla in STP so they have introduce RSTP??? now in order to configure RSTP on swicth (does the swicth comes with STP or RSTP by defauly???) we issue a command

spanning-tree mode rapid-pvst

my question is why we us ethis command all we are doing is to enable RSTP from wher ethis pvst comes.....now i know what pvst is but again i m confused....now guys what is the difference between PVST and PVST+ and the last one is what is the difference between PVST and RPVST and how we confiure RPVST?? i m still to conver MST ???? thanks in advance......

2 Replies 2

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi

PVST = Per vlan spanning tree ie. each vlan runs it's own instance of spanning-tree.

PVST was developed by Cisco to work with ISL trunking.

PVST+ was then developed for interoperability with IEEE 802.1q.

The difference between PVST & RPVST is that with PVST each vlan is still running original 802.1d STP, so approx 50 seconds when a link goes to bringing a backup link into play.

You configure RPVST by the command you have used in your post

spanning-tree mode rapid-pvst

HTH

Jon

all i can say is Thanks....amazing....u r the MAN :-)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: