cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

EIGRP on cisco 851(SOHO) router

oludunmccis
Level 1
Level 1

please i need to configure eigrp on my cisco 851(SOHO) router so i can work from home, when i attempt to advertise connected networks under eigrp, the router tells me "protocols not in this image", what steps should i take to rectify this?

6 Replies 6

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi

As far as i know there is only one image for the 850 series so if EIGRP is not supported you cannot run EIGRP with this router.

What exactly do you need to do. Could static routing not solve your problem ?

Jon

thanks Jon for the response, i consult for a irm with 200 branches, my servers are located at the hq which i have to access, eigrp runs on all other routers in my network, can i use just static on my soho and it will work?

Yes you can add a default-route to your 850 pointing to the HQ site.

The only other issue is that HQ needs to know how to route back to your subnet at home. You can add a static route for your subnet on one of the HQ routers and then redistribute that into eigrp eg.

HQ router

ip route 192.168.5.0 255.255.255.0 172.16.3.1

where 192.168.5.0/24 is your local network and 172.16.3.1 is the address of the outside interface of your 850.

router eigrp 1

redistribute static

HTH

Jon

Thanks Jon, will try that out. Do i need to do this redistribution on all the branch routers?- I guess not. My network topology is such that i link up with a regional office via radio, this regional office carries my traffic to the HQ via fiber so i guess if i put this redistribute command on the regional router,i can access the regional LAN from remote office, and automatically my traffic passes to my HQ? am i in order?

Hi

You only need the route for your home network on routers that will need to route packets back to you. If that is only one router then you wouldn't need to redistribute it into EIGRP, but if more than one router needs to know your home network you will either have to manually add the static route to each of those routers or just go with the "redistribute static" from one of your routers.

Jon

Thanks Jon,

will implement ASAP and give u a feedback

Mission.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco