Views
Helpful
Replies

Need help with 1410 Bridge configuration

mchockalingam
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I just need some help in configuring the following.

I have 2 LANS separated by about 150feet. I need to connect the 2 LANs together.

LAN1 has a 6509 switch with 10.35.80.x network. The ACS servers needed for authentication are in this network.

LAN2 has a 2950 switch with 172.16.1.x network.

There are no wireless clients on either side and clients are connected to their respective swithces.

wired clients -> 2950 switch -> bridge

wired clients -> 6509 switch -> bridge

I need to make the 2 bridges communicate to each other.

I created a vlan 700 on the 6509 switch and an SVI on the distribution switch with an IP of 172.16.1.1. I also created vlan 700 on the 2950 switch and the default gateway is 172.16.1.1. Assigned 172.16.1.4 and .5 for the 2 bridges. I created a dot1q trunk and allowed vlan 700 between both bridegs.

Now the client connected to the 2950 switch with the static IP of 172.16.1.21 cannot ping any 10.35.80.x network and vice versa.

Am I missing any config?

4 Replies 4

srosenthal
Level 4
Level 4

I assume you have configured the bridges already. Can you ping from one bridge to the other? If not, you need to verify that both bridges are configured the same with the exception that one is setup as the root bridge and the other as non-root. The bridges do not route and should be placed into a switchport with either one of the switches setup as a routed interface and the other switch setup for the same network.

When you use multiple vlan's you will still need to route between them at some time.

Seth

I configured both the bridges. I configured one as root and the other as non-root. I have exactly the same config like you mentioned. The radio interface of the non-root bridge is down and won't come up.

The log shows the following

interface dot11radio0; cannot associate; authenticating

I have setup a username and password on the non-root bridge and I am using network-eap. I also configured the radius server on both bridges correctly.

I would suggest removing all security measures and encryption and just try to get the units to sync up. Then add the encryption to see where the problem is if it works without encryption.

Seth

I got it working. Our wireless IPS/IDS detected the bridges as rogue and were shutting down the radio interface.

Thanks for all the help.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card