cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity 4.x to new hardware Then upgrade to 5.x

r.stockton
Level 1
Level 1

Existing Unity is 4.0(4) and we are migrating to new hardware and then will be upgrading to 5.x. In order to do this, we must build the new hardware w/the same version in order for DiRT to complete. Unfortunately, I can only obtain 4.0(5) CDs from CCO.

Can I migrate to new hardware w/DiRT from 4.0(4) to 4.0(5) and then upgrade to 5.x, or am I required to go 4.0(4) to 4.0(4) then upgrade to 5.x

Thanks

6 Replies 6

Ginger Dillon
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi -

You cannot migrate to new hardware with DiRT from 4.0(4) to 4.0(5). You would have to upgrade your current 4.0(4) server to 4.0(5). Then DiRT backup the 4.0(5) system and restore 4.0(5) to the new hardware. Then upgrade the new hardware from 4.0(5) to 5.x. How come you can only get 4.0(5) CDs from CCO? Do you no longer have your 4.0(4) CDs?

Ginger

Tommer Catlin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

If possible, here is what i would do:

Build the new unity server in the same domain and using the same Exchange Store as the old Unity server

Digitally Network Unity Old and Unity new

Rebuild CallHandlers

Rebuild COS

Rebuild Subscriber Templates

acquire new license

Use the Global Subscriber Migration Tool. (follow the help file)

Move all users off Unity Old to Unity New

Delete UTIM from Old Unity Server to CUCM

Build new UTIM from new Unity to CUCM

Check CUCM for correct Voicemail port configurations.

Hi,

Is it possible to integrate stand-alone Unity server 4.0(1) running Exchange 5.5 to migrate to an Exchange 2003 domain? Can anyone please help?

Hi -

Here is the document you'll want to reference - http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/docs/voice_ip_comm/unity/42/upgrade/guide/ex/ru_110.html#wp1260638

Please note you will need to upgrade your Unity server to 4.0(3) first in order to support Exchange 2003. Read the doc's caveats, especially because version 4.2 does not support Exchange 5.5. So you will need to upgrade Unity somewhere inbetween. If you are fortunate to have an isolated lab environment, I would strongly suggest testing there first, as there are a number of steps. We were already on Exchange 2000 when I first implemented Unity so I do not have personal experience with these procedures. But I have always found Cisco's documents to be detailed & straight forward to start with. Then I customize them for myself as I test. Best wishes on this!!

Ginger

thanks a lot Ginger..this really helps..

jmayes
Level 1
Level 1

Other questions include: Are you making exchange changes (Exchange 2003 to 2007) and/or Active directory changes (some people are rebuildign their AD tructures when upgrading to Exchange 2007). Also, is your current platform Win 2000 or 2003?

A possibility you didn't mention was upgrading the old machine to Unity 5, installing a new Unity 5 on the new hardware, and then backup / restore Unity 5 to Unity 5.

Here's a link for upgrading Unity 4 to 5:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/unity/5x/upgrade/guide/ex/5xcuruge020.html#wp1254683

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: