cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

9124 Ethernet Port Fault - Known issue?

djmupster
Level 1
Level 1

We have purchased 4 X 9124s over the past 6 months. 3 of the switches after short use lost their ethernet ports. Power cycling etc will not get the ports working. I keep sending them back for replacement but now the replacement units are also failing! Is anyone else having this issue? Is there a possible software fix or are we seeing hardware failures?

Many thanks

Richard

8 Replies 8

groutley
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

yes there is a known issue with the 9124 @ 3.1.2 (from memory) it is fixed in 3.2 onwards.

So just upgrade to the latest code.

How do I get the new firmware on to the switch with no working ethernet ports? Can you transfer data via the console port?

Richard,

you should refer your service provider to BUG ID: CSCsh98705 where it states a Workaround:

The workaround to recover the management ethernet port is to power-cycle the switch. The fix for this issue will be available in 3.2(1).

So basically a reboot of your switch should recover the ethernet interface, from there you can upgrade to the new firmware level.

Unfortunatley a reboot of the switch doesn't bring the port back, it doesn't even get a link light!

It stinks of a hardware fault but I carn't believe iv had 4 straight failures.

Hey,

did you REBOOT or POWERCYCLE????

A reboot does not fix the problem.

Regards,

Michael

Completely removed power from the unit. Tried leaving them powered off over night and trying in the morning but no joy. The 2 lights on the ethernet port flick for about a second on bootup then remain dead. If you console into the switch apparently the interface is up and fault free.

did you already try the update to 3.2?

If ethernet does not work you could create an interface VSANx, assign an IP and use FC for transferring the file.

Use (a working) ethernet on one MDS and enable IP routing to route IP between FC and Ethernet.

If you have a PC/server with an FC HBA you could also assign an IP to that HBA and use it for the update. (the HBA needs so support IPFC of course, but most do these days)

Regards,

Michael

if this helps please rate it

Yeah I was thinking of that or just route it out over the mangement port of another switch via FCIP.

Ill have a crack at that and see if the latest firmware fix's it.

Cheers

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: