cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Command to verify High Speed Fan in 6500 Chassis

rsdauman13
Level 1
Level 1

I need to upgrade 20+ 6500 switches (6506s and 6509s) to SUP32 from SUP1A and don't have physical access to them at this time. I need to verify if these switches have High Speed Fans and would like to know if there is a command I can enter to check this. If not, is a physical inspection of the fan card my only option?

Thank you.

7 Replies 7

dominic.caron
Level 5
Level 5

Hostname#sh environment status

backplane:

operating clock count: 2

operating VTT count: 3

fan-tray 1:

fan-tray 1 type: WS-C6K-9SLOT-FAN2

Rate helpful post

Danilo Dy
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

Use the command "show environment status" and check this link http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps708/products_installation_guide_chapter09186a008020e088.html#wp1027124

Regards,

Dandy

rsdauman13
Level 1
Level 1

Sorry, this is to replace fan trays. And, yes, this is CatOS. Using the suggestions so far, I am not able to determine anything; "sho environment" does not display the specific fan tray card.

Hi,

Try "show environment cooling", this command is for CATOS

Regards,

Dandy

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi

If you are running native then as others have said "sh env status" or the shorter version "sh env cooling".

If you are running CatOS it is a bit harder. I can't find a command to show the fan type. You can however show the power. If you have anything less that 2500W i believe it must be one of the original fans because you need at least 2500W to power a high-speed fan.

if your'e power supplies are 2500W or greater then i can't find a way other than a physical check although i did think there was a command. I'll keep looking unless someone else can step in.

Jon

All of the switches for which I am replacing a SUP1A to a SUP32 have 1300W power supplies. While I do plan on getting the fan card part # spot checked, would it be safe to say based on my installed power supplies that I DON'T currently have high speed fan trays?

Thanks!

Hi

Yes i think it's safe to say that. Also just in case you missed it you will need to upgrade your power supplies as well to a minimum of 2500W.

Jon

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco