Views
Helpful
Replies

Device Discovery Problem

whitlowdustin
Level 1
Level 1

Hey Everyone -

I am running LMS 3.0 and having some trouble getting new devices added to my system. In the inital setup I was able to successfully add 3 devices from one range of IP addresses. I just added a few more IP addresses, made sure they all had public ro / private rw strings, and ran the device discovery. They are not being discovered though. Does anyone have any ideas as to why the original 3 devices were picked up right away through device discovery, but now I can't seem to get it to recognize anything else?

Also, the devices are 2 x 2950 and 1 x 3560 switches. I have 3 of the same devices already setup.

Thanks in advance for the help!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Either add them as seed devices in Campus Manager > Admin > Device Discovery > Discovery Settings or make sure that CDP reaches from your current three devices to these new devices.

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Device Discovery requires CDP, ILMI, or ELMI to find neighbors. If you do not have those protocols running between your seed devices (including those already in DCR) and these new devices, then discovery will not find them.

If CDP is running, you can enable devdiscovery debugging under Campus Manager > Admin > Debugging Options > Device Discovery, re-run the discovery, and the discovery.log will have more information.

CDP is running. I just enabled devdiscovery, re-ran the discovery, and have attached the output of the log.

Do you think this might have something to do with the IOS on the other switches as well?

According to this, there are three seed devices, 10.0.07, 10.0.0.6, and 10.0.0.8. Each device on;y has each other as a CDP neighbor, so there are no other devices for discovery to find. Your missing devices must be neighbors of one of these three devices for discovery to find them.

The 3 devices already in LMS are all in the same physical location. The other 3 devices I am trying to add are on the same network, but in different physical locations...as in, a completely different state in the USA.

10.0.32.2 & 10.0.32.3 are neighbors.

192.168.16.2 is a single switch.

What do I need to do to get them added?

Either add them as seed devices in Campus Manager > Admin > Device Discovery > Discovery Settings or make sure that CDP reaches from your current three devices to these new devices.

I have all the IP Ranges set in Discovery Settings. To add the devices as a seed device do I just need to upload a text file with each device's IP Address in it?

No, just click on the Configure button for seed devices, and type in an address or addresses.

Awesome. That fixed it. Thanks very much for your help.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: