cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity answers after 2 rings

smolz
Level 4
Level 4

I have hopefully a quick question; what dictates how many rings a subscriber hears before Unity answers? Originally Unity answered immediately, now subscribers here 2 rings before Unity answers and prompts for pin.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi -

You can check the status of the voicemail ports from the Unity server. Right-click the Unity icon on the server's systray and select Launch Status Monitor. When this opens, click on the second icon, which is Port Status (looks like a phone with lines). Check to see if you have any ports in the State Column which show Busy with a high Time Count. Occasionally you may see one or more ports with 1000+ in the Time Count, indication of possibly a hung port. You can try to Reset the hung port, but I've found it more successful to stop/restart Unity, or if that doesn't work, to reboot the server.

Ginger

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

It is controlled on the CallManager (or other PBX), with late CM versions the Ring No Answer (RNA) timer can be set globally as well as overritten per each DN. In US each ring cycle is 4 seconds, so 2 rings indicates the timer is set to 8 seconds or so, which sound owfully low.

HTH,

Chris

How would I go about changing that and what should it be set to?

Why would it be the ring no answer that would control when Unity picks up? It is the user that is pressing the messages button on the phone and can hear it ring twice before unity picks up.

Sorry, I misunderstood your question.

What version of Unity are you running?

Make sure all of your VM ports are registered, also when it finally connects which port does it connect on, is it the first one in the Line Group or another one?

It could be that some of the ports are stuck and CallManager is hunting through all of them until a good one is found.

Chris

Unity 4.0

How do I check the status of the ports? If I go to Feature->Voice Mail->Cisco Voice Mail Port----All ports show as status the IP address of the primary CCM

Hi -

You can check the status of the voicemail ports from the Unity server. Right-click the Unity icon on the server's systray and select Launch Status Monitor. When this opens, click on the second icon, which is Port Status (looks like a phone with lines). Check to see if you have any ports in the State Column which show Busy with a high Time Count. Occasionally you may see one or more ports with 1000+ in the Time Count, indication of possibly a hung port. You can try to Reset the hung port, but I've found it more successful to stop/restart Unity, or if that doesn't work, to reboot the server.

Ginger

checked and none of the ports were hung. I did notice that when I called in, it always went to port 2, then 3, etc. I never did see port 1 answer. I tried resetting that port, with no change. I will have to schedule to do a reset of unity if that may make a difference.

Also, ran a Port Time Usage and for the last week(as far back as the logs are kept) there is no port 1 usage.

thank you for the help. Watched the monitor and saw that port 1 never picked up even after reseting it. Went to callmanager and reset it there and now everything is working again.

Thanks again

Guys and Girl

I had the same problem as Smolz and reset VM port 1 and it fixed the problem.

Thanks Tom

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: