cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Could I update PDM using telnet?

fmt_cisco
Level 1
Level 1

I need to update PDM in a PIX 506 in a remote office (because I need to update it to 3.0(4) to correct the bug that it is not compatible with recent JRE)

The official doc tells us to do so using the console port, but the remote office is very very far (I need to take a plane if I need to go there). I've already set up a TFTP server in the remote office. So, could I do telnet to update the PDM image?

Actually, I'm the only administrator on both offices and nobody is using or aware of PDM or whatsoever. So I think if I do the update of PDM through telnet, that won't hurt. Am I correct?

Thanks for any advice.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Glad all is good, yes !! the code upgrade is sensitive matter when changing PIX or any device code, specially you want to be local to see any error that may come up in local console when reloading

Rgds

Jorge

Jorge Rodriguez

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

JORGE RODRIGUEZ
Level 10
Level 10

That is correct, you can telnet and tftp the pdm file into pix flash, I have done the same on 515Es where I have tftp to flash both pix code and pdm file into the PIX via telnet session, but becuase it was a code upgrade I needed to go to the site to do the actual reboot to be there in case the pix did not come back but it turned out all went well after I issue reload new pix code and pdm were updated, in other words the update can be done remotely but it is good to have a backup measure. In the case of PDM update assume something happens to the new PDM your pix will still load load and you could reconnect to fix the PDM issue, beside you will have complete command line functionality in worse case scenario and still fix it via telnet session.

Rgds

Jorge

Jorge Rodriguez

Thank you :)

It's this confirmation that I needed.

I've done the remote update of PDM and reboot, everything's fine.

NB: For PIX update, I think I'd better do it when I go there next time.

Glad all is good, yes !! the code upgrade is sensitive matter when changing PIX or any device code, specially you want to be local to see any error that may come up in local console when reloading

Rgds

Jorge

Jorge Rodriguez
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card