cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Setup constant time in 2950 switches

insccisco
Level 1
Level 1

Can anyone tell me of a good public NTP server that I can use in my 2950 switch so it can keep the time?

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

royalblues
Level 10
Level 10

Choose anyone from this link which has open access.

http://support.ntp.org/bin/view/Servers/StratumTwoTimeServers

Its better to synchronize any one router/switch/server to a public NTP server and then use this device as NTP server to update the time for the rest

HTH

Narayan

View solution in original post

Simple

On all the other switches point the NTP server IP as the address of the router/switch which has the time updated via public NTP

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/netsec/secmgmt/asdmhelp/5_0procs/conf-ips/ntp.htm

HTH, rate if it does

Narayan

Angel

You ask: how to setup the switch to get its time from an outside NTP server and at the same time be one NTP server. The good news is that this functionality is built in to IOS. A Cisco router or switch that has learned authoritative time from some source is automatically enabled to operate as an NTP server for other devices.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

10 Replies 10

great. thank you

royalblues
Level 10
Level 10

Choose anyone from this link which has open access.

http://support.ntp.org/bin/view/Servers/StratumTwoTimeServers

Its better to synchronize any one router/switch/server to a public NTP server and then use this device as NTP server to update the time for the rest

HTH

Narayan

awesome. I never thought about this. I have many switches in my inside network and I would not mind configuring only one with an outside NTP server and then configuring the rest to get their time from this switch

How will I go about setting up that single switch as an NTP server though?

Simple

On all the other switches point the NTP server IP as the address of the router/switch which has the time updated via public NTP

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/netsec/secmgmt/asdmhelp/5_0procs/conf-ips/ntp.htm

HTH, rate if it does

Narayan

at first look, that link appears cryptic for me.

It talks about authentication, IDs, etc.

If I'm gonna setup one of my switches to be an NTP server, I'd like it to not ask any clients for IDs, authentications, etc., etc.

Also, it confused me a bit on how to setup the switch to get its time from an outside NTP server and at the same time be one NTP server.

Then, I'd just want to go into the other switches and setup the NTP command and use this switch IP address as their NTP server.

excuse my simple questions but I am a novice here.

oh, and can I setup more than 1 NTP servers in a switch? so if one NTP becomes unreachable for x reason, the switch can still pull the correct time from the other. Can this be done?

Yes you can do it.

Just configure the following

ntp server x.x.x.x prefer ---> this will be preferred

ntp server y.y.y.y

NTP authentication is used for security but you can skip them in the begining

HTH

Narayan

Angel

You ask: how to setup the switch to get its time from an outside NTP server and at the same time be one NTP server. The good news is that this functionality is built in to IOS. A Cisco router or switch that has learned authoritative time from some source is automatically enabled to operate as an NTP server for other devices.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Great. simple enough as always Rick

Angel

I am glad that my answer was helpful. Thank you for using the rating system to indicate that your question was resolved (and thanks for the rating). It makes the forum more useful when people can read a question and can know that they will read responses which resolved the question.

I encourage you to continue your participation in the forum.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card