cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

L3 VPN CE routing

sumesh_un
Level 1
Level 1

How is CE configured for routing in a MPLS L3VPN in case there are overlapping addresses in different VPNs?Say I have two VRFs for companies A and B and their IP pools overlap...Since my CE needs to communicate to both A & B and is a member of both VPNs, how do i configure it to direct traffic to an IP say 10.10.1.2/24( an overlapping pool present in both VPNs) to the appropriate VPN?

4 Replies 4

royalblues
Level 10
Level 10

MPLS VPN makes use of Route-distinguisher to make customers prefix unique.

It is a 8 byte field that is added to the IPv4 prefix received from the customer. The result is a 12 byte VPN4 prefix which is unique.

For example, for a PE router to be able to distinguish between the IP address 10.0.0.0 of one customer from the 10.0.0.0 of another customer, we must add a unique route distinguisher to each

HTH

Narayan

thnks narayan

However how will the PE know to which VRF is the packet directed?Say the CE will have destination ip 10.1.1.1 but this is an ip present in both VRFs on the PE?

CE is not VRF aware.

can it be achieved by source based routing at PE?

Hi Sumesh,

In PE, the interface which is connected to the CE will be configured with the respective VRF with the following command (this will associate the interface with the respective VRF instance)

"ip vrf forwarding "

Based on the VRF, the address lookup will be done and forwarded accordingly.

Below mentioned URL can help you to understand about basic MPLS VPN configuration.

http://cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk436/tk428/technologies_configuration_example09186a00800a6c11.shtml

Regards,

Nagendra

Hi

How about creating NAT on vrf

regards

Aasheesh Gupta

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: