Views
Helpful
Replies

VG248 software upgrade via FTP problem

minghui.qi
Level 1
Level 1

hi all,

from my research, VG248 doesn't have username, only has login password and enable password, and to upgrade software, just FTP into it and send new software across. but i am having problem deleting the old file. error: access denied. I tried with IE and FTP client, same thing. has anyone done VG248 upgrade?

5 Replies 5

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Minghui,

Here is some relevant info;

Upgrading the software image on the VG248.

Procedure

To upgrade the main software image, perform these steps:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Step 1 Obtain a configuration file whose name is in the following format: vgc-main..tar, where indicates the release number, such as 1-0-1.

Step 2 Connect to the VG248 using FTP.

Step 3 Send the configuration file to the VG248 using FTP.

Step 4 Restart the VG248 for the new image to take effect.

Step 5 From the main menu on the VG248, choose Display.

Step 6 Choose Version to verify the updated version has been installed.

From this good doc;

http://cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/voice/c_access/apg/vg248/v1_2/sw_confg/vg248swt.htm#1029375

Hope this helps!

Rob

hi Rob, thanks for replying.

this is the doc i was reading, and i got different versions of it. look at step 2, it simply tells you to connect via FTP, but what credential should you use? I can login with enable password and without username, but i can't delete anything - access denied. Or i tired removing all passwords, then I can login anonymously, but still read only.

I was able to delete old file by console into it and reboot it, during reboot, you press a key to pause it for FTP, then i was able to have full access, but this requires physical access to device. I am trying upgrade 10 of them geographically scattered, so not really feasible.

any similar experience??

minghui.qi
Level 1
Level 1

I found that the user name for ftp doesn't matter, as long as i use the enable password, i can login. but still read only :(

anyone? Thanks.

At the user prompt, hit return. If there are NOT any passwords configured on the VG248,then after hitting return at the user prompt, you will be given an "ftp>" prompt to upload the software. If an enable password is configured on the VG248 then that password

needs to be entered after hitting return at the user prompt. If the an enable password is not configured, but a login password is, then the login password is need to access the VG248 through FTP.

Which options u have?

All configuration in stored in a file called "user.cfg" and "user.cfg.xml" in the VG248 file system.

You can download this file from an ftp client:

ftp (enter the enable password if set) get user.cfg

quit

try same steps for user.cfg.xml

once you have both files

You can of course "put" back this file when you want to restore the backup and then reload

the box.

You may try to restore configuration defaults,

upgrade then restore config.

Let us know

Hi qoqasca,

really apprieciate your reply.

I went to work today and tried it, everything worked fine. and I have been trying everything to upload the file to vg248 at home without success. the only differece is I VPN into work from home via MS ISA server and at work it's just direct connection. there is no any other firewall between ISA and VG248. I have also tried VPN into work and RDP into one of the servers from which I do the upgrade, and I don't have problem. so it must be the VPN, I still don't have a clue why the VPN link is causing the problem. I have been using it to work at home without any problem. maybe it's how ISA server manipulates packets.

Sorry for the non-cisco problem and appriciate all your help.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: