cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

rebuild CLI content

simon.dejonghe
Level 1
Level 1

Is there anyway to rebuild IOS messages in the CLI (for example "%LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface Serial0/1/0, changed state to down") when the content of the CLI has been deleted?

Example:

I build a network... everything is fine... Then i give the command "no clock rate 64000" on the DCE interface... Then i delete the content of de CLI... 5 minutes later, another admin came in, he see that the network is not converged. The first thing he want to do is to look in the CLI what the IOS gave for message... (in this example --> "%LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface Serial0/1/0, changed state to down"). But the content of the CLI was deleted by me...

Now the question is... Can he restore the content, so he can see the last IOS messages?

Regards,

Simon

3 Replies 3

yjdabear
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

If you can't see "%LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN..." with "show logging", the message has been overwritten in the internal circular buffer. The size of this buffer is controlled by "logging buffered ". If you have "logging " configured, you might find the message on your syslog server , provided the in your "logging trap " covers that in your "logging buffered ".

can you give specific commands to detlet/rebuild de content of the CLI for a specific router...

Example:

Router# [command for delete content]

Router# [command to rebuild content]

regards,

Simon

You can delete the content in the internal buffer with "clear logging". However, I don't think there's a way to "rebuild" content once it's flushed from the buffer, either manually or when the buffer gets full.

To retrieve old content, you'd have to have the router sending the buffer content to an external logging server, as I mentioned earlier.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco