cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Switching from nonsecure to secure SSIDs

wirlessmd
Level 1
Level 1

Right now we have about 22 Cisco access points. Some are 1200s but most are 1100s.

Currently we only have an SSID that is not broadcasted. It has no security on it.

I have approximately 400 wireless clients on the network. All laptops using windows to manage wireless connection.

I want to switch to a secure SSID. I can deploy the SSIDs using Windows Active Directory and GPOs.

I think it is not possible for the APs to have a secure and insecure SSID at the same time.

My goal is to make the switch without having to touch each of the 400 clients.

Ideas?

2 Replies 2

john.preves
Level 4
Level 4

you will touch all 400 laptops. Whatever happens to the AP must be reflected in the client.

mhurley131
Level 4
Level 4

As long as you can add the SSID with the group policy, then you wont have to touch the clients at all. They will connect with the old ssid, and pull the new wireless policy down. Just make sure the new SSID is higher on the priority list.

As for the APs, you will have to touch each one of these if you don't have a central management platform. You can have two ssids on them, so create the new ssid along side the current, and assign it the current security settings and vlan assignments.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card