cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

1/Invalid traffic frommulticast source address b3:aa:a1:6e:08:00 on port3/3

prakashmkuppa
Level 1
Level 1

I have been getting this message alert from cisco catalyst switch WS-C4003 and the getting similar alert with different multicast source address MAC addresses. Why do i getting this alert and how do i avoid it? . Is this alert is not a critical one which harm the system?.

3 Replies 3

Nagendra Kumar Nainar
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Prakash,

The switch is receiving frame with multicast MAC address as source address. Are you using it in any testing environment or is it in production?.

Identify which host is sending the frame with this address. A quick search reveals that it happens normally with some testing tools like SmartBit or any other kind of server.

http://cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps663/products_tech_note09186a00801434de.shtml#subtopic1m

HTH,

Nagendra

As i have using this switch is in production environment and i have been searched for that MAC address..but i could not find that address..i guess it is an strange IP.

Hi Prakash,

The source MAC address is a multicast MAC address which is not suppose to be and thats why you are getting the error message. Try the following commadn and see if it helps

"show mac-address-table | inc

This will show you from whihc port the frame is originating.

HTH,

Nagendra

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card