Views
Helpful
Replies

2821 router and connecting to a switch/firewall

jeacpa2007
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

First, thank you for any help you can provide.

We have a 2821 router. It only has the 2 10/100/1000 fast ethernet ports. We have two high speed (GB) connects going to those 2 ports.

Because we are new to this, we didn't get anything else so we have no way to connect to our switch.

What do we need to connect to the switch (10/100/1000 gigabit switch)?

I am thinking we need the HWIC-1GE with the GLC-T.

Or do we need the HWIC-1FE? Or the HWIC-D-9ESW (but isn't that a switch)?

We will be connecting a firewall, a load balance and three servers

additional notes:

we will be setting up 3 VLANS on the switch.

Thank you again.

James

9 Replies 9

Danilo Dy
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi James,

Have you tried trunking whether its applicable to your setup?

If you really need additional GE, you need 1 x

HWIC-1GE-SFP and 1 x GLC-T=

2821 supposrt only one http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps5854/products_data_sheet0900aecd8016be8d.html

Regards,

Dandy

Hi Dandy,

I am not sure what you meant my trunking but I am thinking the 1GE is not what we need and that the 1FE is. Someone was telling me that the 1FE is for fiber, but I thought we just connect cat 5 to it for ethernet. Am I off base? is the 1FE for fiber only?

Thank you again for the help.

Hi,

What I mean is VTP http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/cat5000/rel_4_2/config/vlans.htm where one router physical interface can be configured to multiple sub-interface to serve multiple VLAN or broadcast domain. Can you post a diagram how you intend to connect all your devices and VLANs?

You need Cat 5e for GE, Cat 5 only support up to FE.

HWIC-1FE is copper not fibre http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps5855/products_data_sheet0900aecd80581fe6.html and yes you can use HWIC-1FE (not HWIC-2FE) as mentioned in the link.

Regards,

Dandy

Hi Dandy,

Thank you again for your help. We will order the 1FE.

Here is the diagram.

James

er, can you save it in JPG? I don't have Visio at home :)

Regards,

Dandy

will this work?

Thanks again... james

Hi,

From the diagram.

In your 2821 router, since you have two interface connected to Internet, you need a third interface (HWIC-1FE) for your 2821 router to connect to your firewall.

In your envirnoment, most setup are Internet>Router>Firewall1>SwitchVLAN1>LoadBalancer>SwitchVLAN2(Web_Servers)>Firewall2>SwitchVLAN3>DB_Server

Outside of LB is VLAN1 and inside is VLAN2. Web_Server is only VLAN2.

If you have a Backup Server, you can put a third dedicated switch. All servers have a second NIC connected to this switch. Routing Service is disabled in the servers. The switch will not be connected to the firewall but will be configured with PVLAN for one way traffic.

Regards,

Dandy

Hi Dandy,

Thank you very much for your help. It is truly appreciated.

Sincerely,

James

No problem. Glad to help :)

Regards,

Dandy

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco