cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Router to router connections

robertcounts
Level 1
Level 1

I am a student and I have just started taking cisco courses. I can hardly wait to go back to school. I have bought from Ebay a 2610 and a 3620 router. The 3620 has a NM-E1 2W card and the other has a WIC 1DSU 56K. Since I bought these to learn from, and use in my home, I would like to connect the routers together. I can see I will need to purchase cards for the two routers to "talk" to each other, but what kinds? Do I need serial cards? What kinds of serial cards would be recommended? I would like something I can learn from, not just something I can plug together, type in a few commands and go.

Thanks

3 Replies 3

ccbootcamp
Level 7
Level 7

You can connect the routers together as-is, using the NM-1E2W in the 3620 and the ethernet port on the 2610. You can also get a couple of WIC-1Ts and connect them that way as well. If you want to learn a bit more, I'd suggest adding another router or two, and a switch. My recommendations, a terminal server of some sort like a 2511 and a 2950 switch. There are quite a few different options depending on your budget.

-brad

www.ccbootcamp.com

(please rate the post if this helps!)

Thanks for for your answer.

I believe I will get the WIC-1T's for the two routers. I would like to try running the output of my ADSL modem through the two routers and connect the output through ethernet port to a switch. I am sure there are adapters to replace my modem.... but not yet.

Thanks again for your help

Bob

you're welcome! feel free to rate my posts. :)

have a good one.

-brad

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: