cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

TACACS shows "Unknown NAS" from configured device

wilson_1234_2
Level 3
Level 3

I have a router that has been configured in TACACS and suddenly started to fail login attempts.

TACACS is configured to source from the Loopback Internface on the router and I can ping it from the TACACS server.

I can log in with localy configured credentials on the router and the TACACS config is intact, I also have a switch at the same site and it is authenticating to TACACS with no problems.

When looking in TACACS, I see "Unknown NAS" with the source being the Serial Interface of the router.

Anyone ever see anything like this?

Would a router reboot be in order or possible a corrupted TACACS database?

2 Replies 2

yjdabear
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/secursw/ps5338/products_user_guide_chapter09186a0080204cd4.html

"Authentication fails; the error "Unknown NAS" appears in the Failed Attempts log.

Verify the following:

•AAA client is configured under the Network Configuration section.

•If you have RADIUS/TACACS source-interface command configured on the AAA client, make sure the client on ACS is configured using the IP address of the interface specified.

Alternatively, you can configure a default NAS in the NAS configuration area by leaving the hostname and IP address blank and entering only the key."

I appreciate your reply, but you are just confirming what I put in my post.

All of that has been verified.

This has been working and suddenly does not.

No config has changed, reloading the router corrected the issue.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: