cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

HSRP vs VRRP vs GLBP

mjsully
Level 1
Level 1

I am looking for advice as to whether I should be looking at HSRP, VRRP, or GLBP for a new connection I am setting up. Here is the layout:

Two catalyst L3 switches serving as the gateway for out internal LAN. Two 2811 routers in front of the switches, acting as the default gateway out of our network. One router's ethernet interface will connect to one catalyst, the other router to the second catalyst. This will be the inside facing connection. The other side of each router also has an ethernet connection. Each connection will be going directly over Ethernet to our ISP's L3 switches and out to the internet. (our gear is hosted at a colocation, so we don't use serial interfaces, we have direct uplinks into their switches).

I want to configure redundancy on the internal facing inside interfaces, and possibly the external outside interfaces. The routers will be using a default route for internet connection, there is no BGP at this time. Am I wise to go with GLBP on both the inside and outside ethernet interfaces on the routers, as then I can load balance traffic?

1 Reply 1

Danilo Dy
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

You can choose any of the three for your inside facing. Since HSRP and VRRP are similar, you can choose between HSRP and GLBP (if all devices are Cisco). Depends whether the downtime when HSRP failover from Active to Standby is too long for you and/or the link between switch and router is not enough and you want to load balance, you can choose GLBP.

However, for your outside facing, you should check with your provider which one they support (incoming and outgoing). HSRP and GLBP are Cisco proprietary, make sure your provider will not be replacing their distribution switch to other brand - this can happen.

Regards,

Dandy

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco