cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

frame-relay switch Lab test

bbjapangetin
Level 1
Level 1

I try a lab test with one 3620 (2 serial ports) and two 2620 router. I try to config the 3620 as a frame-relay switch.

Router_A

interface Serial0/0

ip address 192.168.2.1 255.255.255.0

encapsulation frame-relay

frame-relay lmi-type cisco

Router_B

interface Serial0/0

ip address 192.168.2.2 255.255.255.0

Router_C

interface Serial0

no ip address

no ip mroute-cache

no fair-queue

clockrate 56000

frame-relay intf-type dce

frame-relay route 100 interface Serial1 200

interface Serial1

no ip address

no ip mroute-cache

clockrate 2000000

frame-relay intf-type dce

frame-relay route 200 interface Serial0 100

Ping test between router A and B failed.

in Router C, sh frame-relay PVC; sh frame-relay LMI and sh frame-relay route is OK. In router A and B sh frame-relay PVC and sh frame-relay LMI is OK but nothing in "sh frame-relay map". Run "debug frame-relay pa" and do ping again, the result is encapsulation fail in link 38 (BRIDGE)

What could be the problem? Thanks

8 Replies 8

JORGE RODRIGUEZ
Level 10
Level 10

Posible causes,from what I can see in config is that lmi type must match both ends..

also ensure you have enable frame relay switching in your framerelay-switch.. try checking this and post results.

Router_B

interface Serial0/0

frame-relay lmi-type cisco <-lacks this statement

Rgds

Jorge

Jorge Rodriguez

Thanks for reply.

Both side LMI-type is Cisco and in switch I do have the framerelay-switch config.

I run "sh cdp nei" in router A and B, both of two routers can see each other.

But run "sh frame-relay map" in router A anbd B there is nothing.

"sh frame-relay lmi" and "sh fram-relay pvc" without any problem.

Somebody said need use "frame-relay map bridge" command. Any idea? thanks

hi,

i think u r missing "frame-relay switching" command in ur frame relay switch.

Try out the command in the global configuration mode on the frame relay switch.

don't need bridge statement, actually create IP-to-DLCI mappings for Ra and Rb to communicate and try.

Router_A

interface Serial0/0

frame-relay map ip 192.168.2.2 [dlci#] broadcast

Router_B

interface Serial0/0

frame-relay map ip 192.168.2.1 [dlci#] broadcast

Jorge Rodriguez

Actually ArunKumar is correct, don't need to place IP-to-DCLI mappings in router a or router b as I pointed it out, so please check your frame switching command in frameswitch, your configuration as it is router-a should be able to ping router-b and vice versa, as well as from each router be able to see your maping with show frame-relay map.

Rgds

Jorge

Jorge Rodriguez

Hi, I change the configuration like this:

Switch keep the same but in Router A:

encapluation frame-relay

framrelay iterface-dlci 100

Router B:

framrelay iterface-dlci 200

This time "sh frame-relay LMI" and "sh frame-relay pvc" is good but "sh frame-relay map" still get nothing.

Then i enable RIP in router A and B. The magic thing happen: I can find the map entry in both "sh frame-relay map" and I can ping each other!

So I do a test again. I disable IP routing in both router then reload them. It's lost the mapping again and can't ping. After I enable RIP everything is OK.

I think the dynamic mapping should be invorked by a traffic like RIP. But why PING and CDP not make the mapping working?

Glad you got it resolved, however, the frame-relay maping should have shown at either end router A&B without RIP routing being involed as well as be able to ping each other becuase both ends are on the same network and the freame-relay switch just forwards the L2 traffic., once you create another network in each router for example on the ethernet interfaces then routing will be needed.

Rgds

Jorge

Jorge Rodriguez

Hi,

to avoid all the strange issues with DLCI mapping, please use only point-to-point subinterfaces, one for each PVC.

The main interface is inherently point-to-multipoint and causes this type of confusion.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco