Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Disable modem function in Cisco 800 ?

Dear, I have a Cisco 800 connected to a DSL modem. The Cisco sets up and maintains the PPEO connection through the modem. Now, the modem will be replaced with a cable modem and the Cisco does not need to set up the connection. Can I disable the modem function in the Cisco so the router just routes all traffic? I need an Ethernet to Ethernet router. On the WAN interface, the router should be able to receive a DHCP address from the cable modem. Is this possible? And how?

Thanks in advance,

Regards,

Peter

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Then no, as mentioned above, you need to replace the router with one that has and ethernet "wan" port.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Which exact model do you have?

If an 877, you can upgrade IOS and configure VLAN so that you can do "ethernet-to-ethernet".

If a different model, you need to replace the router with an 851 or 871.

Hope this helps, please ratepost if it does!

Hi,

Through the CRWS I can see that I have a SOHO91 with 12.3(2)XC2 IOS

Thanks.

Peter

Then no, as mentioned above, you need to replace the router with one that has and ethernet "wan" port.

Thanks for the answer.

I have had a look @ my hardware provider and found a Cisco 871. Could you confirm this is the one I need, based on the Cisco order number: CISCO871-K9

Is it possible with this one to have an DHCP adress received from my provider on the WAN interface? Are there other models I can use with more firewall and intrution detection features?

Thanks in advance,

Regards,

Peter

Yes, an 871 is fine. The alternative would be an 851 that has some less software features and is more economical. Both will do what you want.

Both are available with optional wireless, (at order time, it cannot be upgraded later).

Thanks for the nice rating, good luck and happy X-mas!

What is actually the difference between a CISCO871-K9 and CISCO871-SEC-K9

Am I right when I say these are exactly the same Ethernet to Ethernet routers? The second one has some extra security features the first doesn't have?

Thanks in advance,

Regards,

Peter

There is only two hardware made for the 871, wireless and non-wireless. The order codes can change depending on the software image shipped and licensed, but it's the same product anyway.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: