cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VG224 question

jjoseph01
Level 3
Level 3

All, I have a few PRI lines coming into a 3825 gateway, which forwards over to a callmanager. Customer has ATAs for all fax machines, only for me to break the news to them that some of thier fax machines are not supported by the ATAs. Customer bought a VG224 for all of their fax machines, but with the current setup, Im not sure how to put this in place for fax machines. ive not done a VG224 before, so Im not sure how this will work. With what I have just described, is this possible to do with a VG224? It appears to have an amphenol cable attachment to it, so my guess would be that this end goes TO the fax machines, and communication would come into the FA port for communication with the callmanager. Can anyone shed some light on this for me please? Thanks.

6 Replies 6

jbankstonga
Level 1
Level 1

Just think of the VG224 as a 24-port analog gateway, handles any analog device that the ATA would. You'll need to buy an RJ-21 break-out cable - obviously the RJ-21 end screws down to the VG224, and its other end is 24 pair of wire that you punch down into a punchdown block and then is cabled to the analog device.

As for the VG's config, set it H.323 or MGCP, whatever is your preference.

-Jeff

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

be aware that any trouble you can have with FAX and ATA,is likely to repeat on a VG224.

The best way would be first, use a "faxless" solution like receivieng faxed directly on the router that will send you them via email, or a third-party IP based fax solution, else if they want absolutely use legacy fax machines, use FXS ports in the router. For example, you can have 24 FXS ports in the router with an EVM-8FXS and two additional modules. This is much safer because thee is no conversion to VoIP to which fax is very sensible and require special configuration.

Hi,

What u need is to configure VG224 as H.323 Product and Device Protocol as H.225 in CCM. ?

Further, Select you FIND and Selct from DEVICE NAMEin CCM.In CCM , Protocol appears as SCCP which is default.Select 24-port FXS as module in slot and configure all the 24 analog ports .It is configured in same as other IP phones are configured i.e. assigning Directory no. , Partition & CSS.

After the same is done , u need to configure VG224 which is IOS based.

If u want I can send the commands to configure VG224 & register with CCM.

regds,

aman

So, am I right in thinking that fax calls, in this situation, comes across the PRI to the 3825 gateway router, to the CM, then the CM forwards it over to the VG224, then over the amphenol cable to the fax machine?

Yes u are right...

Thanks, that helps.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: