Requirements to instruct others - CCNA

Unanswered Question
Dec 25th, 2007

Would anybody be able to point me in the right direction?

I would like to open a web site dedicated on getting people through the CCNA.

If possible, I need to know what requirements (if any), that Cisco requires for somebody to teach "legally". I can imagine that there are some "instructor" type certificaiton programs, but can't find any reference to them anywhere. I've searched the forum, also opened a service request some time ago, but all haven't gotten me anywhere (S/R still outstanding).

Thanks in advance.

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 5 (1 ratings)
ccbootcamp Tue, 12/25/2007 - 19:43

To be an authorized Cisco trainer you would have to work for either a CLP, CLSP, or an SO. After that, you would need to get a CCSI certification. You would also need to teach the courses in conjunction with your CLP, CLSP, or SO.

Does this make sense?

CLP - Cisco Learning Partner

CLSP - Cisco Learning Solutions Partner

SO - Sponsored Organization

CCSI - Certfied Cisco Systems Instructor

(please rate the post if this helps!)

usslindstrom Tue, 12/25/2007 - 22:54

Thanks for the answers!

You guys are very helpful... Sometimes Cisco's site is pretty cumbersome to find what you're looking for. :)

On that same note, you mentioned working for a CLP, CLSP, or an SO...

Unfortunately, I am fully independant in this regard. (completed the courseware through CCNP by purchasing my own stuff)

The CCSI sounds like a VERY intriguing certificate to grab ahold of.... And I will probably start focusing in that direction - not sure as of yet.

But I think, to be honest, for what I'm looking at doing in the web-site "idea" is getting people through the CCNA, and asside from putting everything I know into some videos and training material... I'm not sure if there'd be any negative impact of it.

Also, thanks for the above links with the information on CLPs, but even on the certification path portion of Cisco's site, I can't seem to locate any info on the CCSI...

For someone that's not affilated in any way, shape, or form, with a "Learning Partner" - what kinda' direciton could I go with it?

Thanks in advance, you guys are always helpful!

swmorris Fri, 12/28/2007 - 20:13

The CCSI isn't exactly a publicly discussed certification. You can find vague references to it on some Cisco web pages, but mostly in the legal mumbo-jumbo!

But you can work as a contract instructor. You simply must be sponsored by a learning partner as Brad mentioned.

So start with the Learning Partner Locator as a good guide, and start talking to people at various learning partners about your desire to be an instructor and see what it brings about!

It can be a very challenging and rewarding path to take! But remember, there's always good instructors and bad instructors out there. Part of the goal you should have to evaluate (in detail) what you think is a good instructor and strive to make that your method!

I've been a CCSI for 8 years now, and it's been fairly exciting along the way! But like most jobs, it's all what you make of it and how you plow your own path!

Best of luck!

[email protected]

lorthomp Fri, 12/28/2007 - 10:57

Another "official" Cisco training/teacher certification is the CCAI - Cisco Certified Academy Instructor. This may not be what your looking for, but go to for more information.

Interesting idea you have. Good Luck!

This Discussion