cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

AUX port on Cisco 7940 IP phone

yuri.volkov
Level 1
Level 1

Does anybody know what is the purpose of "AUX" port on Cisco 7940 IP phone?

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

On the 796x only, to connect the expansion module 7914. On both 794x and 796x, you can connect a magnetic card reader, or other RS-232 device. This require use of third-party software.

Hope this helps, please rate post if it does!

View solution in original post

I see, your problem is simply that large ringtones don't play on the 7940.

You have to consider that most cisco phones are different from each other. Different hardware, different software. In particular the 7911 is a different generation as well, being a java-based phone, unlike the 7940. So it's not surprising that is has more memory.

So you will have to limit ringfiles for the 7940, to about 75KB as you've found.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

On the 796x only, to connect the expansion module 7914. On both 794x and 796x, you can connect a magnetic card reader, or other RS-232 device. This require use of third-party software.

Hope this helps, please rate post if it does!

Thanks very much. Actually I hoped that it was possible to connect to a 7940 phone via console and delete ringtones downloaded from Call Manager Express. The matter is that after selecting a large (~100Kb) custom ".raw" file as a ringtone I can not change it to another except default ones. For 7910 it is not a problem.

Hi, the phone should not save in flash ringtones, however in doubt you can use factory reset sequence to delete everything.

Remove power. Power on pressing #, release when phone display "reset sequence detected", then press 123456789*0#. Finally press 2 to erase network config as well.

At this point phone will reload firmware files, make sure you have them available on CME.

Thanks for the nice rating and good luck!

I have tried factory reset (thanks for instructions!) but this haven't helped with ringtones. When I looked at the contents of my Call Manager Express flash memory I noticed that sizes of default ringtones vary from 4000 to 16080 bytes. Yet there is one custom file of 78763 bytes which can be successfully set as a ringtone. And three another custom files of 101054, 112199 and 160497 bytes which can not be set as ringtones. Thus, the maximum file size for 7940 series must be somewhere between 78764 and 101053 bytes. It is strange because all four custom ringtones can be perfectly set for cheaper 7911 series phones. Though I understand that ringtone-playing capability is not major characteristic of IP phone.

I see, your problem is simply that large ringtones don't play on the 7940.

You have to consider that most cisco phones are different from each other. Different hardware, different software. In particular the 7911 is a different generation as well, being a java-based phone, unlike the 7940. So it's not surprising that is has more memory.

So you will have to limit ringfiles for the 7940, to about 75KB as you've found.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: