cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity late message delivery

ddiplomat1
Level 1
Level 1

Seasons greetings all ...... I would like to ask if anyone has encounterred the late message delivery syndrome. If so, Is there a reasonable explanation an better yet, solution to this intermittent individual user event. I'm running Call Manager 4.13 with Unity 4.05. Every couple of months or so a user complains that they check for messages and there is/are none but sometime later the message light illuminates and the message/s are from in some cases a day or so old. Other instances could be hours old. I've not been able to get anywhere with this type of trouble in the past. Any ideas or help would be much appreciated.

3 Replies 3

Ginger Dillon
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hello -

When Unity cannot reach its message server (Exchange or Notes), it goes into UMR mode, meaning it stores the voice messages into a local drive location until the message system comes back online. The default UMR location, unless you change it is c:\COMMSERVER\UNITYMTA. Once the message store is back online, Unity transfers the voice messages to Exchange or Notes. It is at this point, that the message waiting light is triggered and timestamped for arrival (either though the voice recording was created the previous hour or previous day). Sometimes the AVUMRSYNCSVR service requires a restart to get the messages flowing again (usually though this is an automatic process). Check your Unity server's application event log to see if you are seeing messages that indicate the message server is offline or unavailable. This can occur even when Exchange is onbox. I'm sure you'll see something in your application event log documenting the problem you are experiencing.

Ginger

Hi Ginger, Thanks for your feedback on this perplexing issue. Yo have provided a very plausible explanation. The trouble with these occurances of mine is that just a single user would experience a late delivery, never has it been more than one person at any one time. Unity or Exchange which is offbox in my case never does indicate an outage in their Event Logs during the reported timeframe. Is there a more descriminate location to look for issues ?? I have had instances of Exchange going out to lunch and yes, during those occasions messages are locally stored with no MWI etc until Exchange is back online. This stuff of intermittent late delivery does appear associated with some kind of heartbeat that goes away for a short period, perhaps Exchange, but I have had no way to date to check on what it could be. That's my quagmire ......

Hello again -

Here is a place for you to check, to run Exchange System Manager from your Unity server. First, I would run Active Directory Users & Computers MMC, select the problem user and identify, on the Exchange General Tab, the Exchange server and information store location of the user's mailbox. Also, check the message limits for the user. If the information there is greyed out, the limits are very likely being set by a mailbox policy on your Exchange server. Then, from ESM, drill down the Administrative Group to the Exchange server's information store. Drill down to the user's mailbox and check to see if the contents are nearing the Prohibit Receive value.

1. The user's Prohibit Receive inbox limit could be getting reached, at which point the voice message from External Callers would be getting delivered to the Unaddressed Messages distribution list. Someone may be monitoring that inbox and reforwarding the voice message back to the intended recipient.

2. Next time this occurs, you can perform Message tracking from within ESM on the Unity server. Search for messages by selecting the user as the recipient and include the user's mail server and any partner server, if it is different than the user's home email server. You can right-click on an individual message and see how it was delivered, i.e. its path, to the user's inbox.

Hope this helps! Ginger