cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco IP phone 7961: Not able to take call through handset

kartik6446
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, I got an issue on my phone whenever it gets the call it goes to speaker. I cannot answer using handset. Can anyone respond to this immediately. I also tried hard reboot on the phone.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Karthik,

No, if you are running 8.3.1 this will be the second issue I listed, that relates to a faulty Hookswitch. Every phone that this has happened to was "un-fixable" and needed to be RMA'd :(

Sorry man!

Rob

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

First of all, what type and version of call manager do you have, and are you the administrator for it ?

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Karthik,

Just to add a note to the info from Paolo. This is almost surely a Firmware issue. This bug (below) manifested itself in exactly the same way you have experienced for our 3rd generation phones. 7941's and 7961's both had this type of random problem until the 8.2.x Firmware. The bug lists the problem as Answering calls only, but as I say we also had the same Dialing then "hang up" issues;

Looks like this Firmware bug continues to plague IP Phones;

Release Notes

Symptom:

Rarely a 7900 IP phone will get into a state where the speaker, headset, handset, or line buttons will not work to take the phone offhook. In this state the only way to go offhook will be to use the softkeys.

Conditions:

This has been seen in various Skinny phone loads up to and including 7.0(2)SR1. It is not dependant on CallManager version.

Workaround:

A simple IP phone reset will recover the phone.

Further Problem Description:

The root cause of this issue is not known at this time.

This problem will be further addressed in the 8.0 Skinny loads by adding more debugging to the IP phone console. If you suspect you have an IP phone in this state running an 8.0 load please do not reset the phone and contact TAC immediately.

CSCsc99161

Phone does not go offhook except via softkey.

http://www.cisco.com/pcgi-bin/Support/Bugtool/onebug.pl?bugid=CSCsc99161

This could also be a hardware problem with the Hookswitch. After deploying Cisco IP Phones for the last few years we (and many others) have found this to be the most common hardware problem. There is a "Best Practice" for cleaning the Hookswitch contacts (link below) that does work on occasion. Usually the phone has to be replaced/RMA'd.

Best?? Practices for Cleaning and Troubleshooting Cisco IP Phone Hookswitch

From this interesting Tech note;

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/phones/ps379/products_tech_note09186a00801c0810.shtml

Hope this helps and Happy Holidays!

Rob

The version of the firmware on the phone is 8-3-1-S. So are you sure this is a firmware problem? Please reply soon. Thanks

Hi Karthik,

No, if you are running 8.3.1 this will be the second issue I listed, that relates to a faulty Hookswitch. Every phone that this has happened to was "un-fixable" and needed to be RMA'd :(

Sorry man!

Rob

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: