Got the Certs- now what?

Unanswered Question
Dec 26th, 2007

Just wanted to air out my concerns.

I have my CCNA, Cisco Unity Support, & IPCC Express Certs.

Problem is I can't find a company that wants to hire me because I don't have enough experience.

Ideally, I would like to get into a Cisco VOIP position, but would also work as a Network Engineer.

Any ideas on how to crack into this business?

Thanks for listening.

Allen K.

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
ccnp_seeker Wed, 12/26/2007 - 12:24

I think that this question has passed through the mind of every person starting in this business....

Certs complement your experience, you can`t just tell a person "hey I know a lot about routing and switching"...a CCNP cert will said this and lot more about you...but your experiencie will help you to demonstrate what you know....

so I recommend you to start with some jobs in networking, such as a technical staff, field support tech, etc....then with a year of experiencie and all this certs you will be very easy to move on to a higher IT position....

jgagznos Wed, 12/26/2007 - 14:51

I understand where you are coming from. Our industry is unlike many other industries as there are no "journeyman" or "apprentice" level jobs. I've heard many people say that you should hold out for the right job and I have heard others say to take any job in the field to start building experience.

If it is possible for you, volunteering is a great way to get a foot in the door (and build tangible experience). However, I do realize that is not an option for everyone (the bills need to be paid).

Whatever you decide to do, don't stop studying. If you want to do voice - keep studying. Add a CCVP to your resume and start studying for the CCIE Voice. A big challenge with getting a job in VOIP is that voice is business critical and you MUST show experience to get started in the field (no one will hand their mission critical system over to someone they might consider "new" to the industry).

Don't get discourgaged - there is a job out there for you.

Good Luck,

dgahm Wed, 12/26/2007 - 20:51

We value knowledge, aptitude, work ethic, and certs -- especially voice. If you are willing to move to Alaska (on your own dime) a job here will give you the opportunity to gain experience with a broad range of network technology. Great benefits, great work environment, not so great pay for an entry Network Technician 1, but an opportunity to advance as you learn.

If you are interested, fill out an application, attach your resume -- and bone up for the technical interview.

Good Luck, Dave

Send me an email if you have any questions.

ccbootcamp Wed, 12/26/2007 - 21:09

Yes, it's hard to get experience - sort of a catch 22 situation. Where do you live? If you are close to vegas we are hiring! :)

(please rate the post if this helps!)

allen1014 Thu, 12/27/2007 - 06:27

Thanks for all the replies.

I should mention that my present position requires me to install Cisco switches and routers. I have experience programming this equip (network protocols, gateways, IP addressing, etc.) I also monitor this equip. after installation.

I would like to get more experience w/ this equip. which doesn't look like will happen (especially the VOIP).

As far as job interviews, it seems that everyone is looking for experts w/ yrs of experience.

I live in the Denver area.

Mavrick25 Thu, 12/27/2007 - 01:34

Best advice I can give, is DON'T Give up..

and don't settle..

make sure you find something that has you fruit your studies.

Also, make sure there is the opportunity for grow..

But don't settle.. and don't give up..

Sachin.bhamra Fri, 12/28/2007 - 02:00

I too am finding the job market difficult. I passed my CCNA in October 2007 and ever since have been on the online job agencies trying to find work in the IT field. Currently I work in a managerial position in Aviation Security, which has nothing to do with IT. So this will be a complete job change. Have over a years experience with Cisco Switches and Routers, but it doesn't seem to mount for much when Im applying for the jobs.

My hope for 2008 is to take ANY IT job that comes along even if its really basic work just so I can get my foot in the door. Also have started my studies in CCNP as you need to keep the brain fresh and active. As speaking from experience, if you take your eye of the ball (being Cisco studies) you tend to forget some core materials.

This Discussion