cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

6513 Module replacement

MattNicholls_2
Level 1
Level 1

I have a 48 port module with 12 ports failing, I just received a new replacement module (thank you support contracts). I haven't removed the old module as 36 ports are still in use. I have an open slot and installed the new module there. The ports on the exisiting module don't use all the same settings. Rather then configure each block for the correct settings is there a way to copy the existing module configuration to the new module config. Or if I waited until after hours could I simply mark all my patch cable remove the old module and put the new module in the same spot and have it use the previous modules config? I wasn't sure if the system would drop the old modules config when it recognizes that this module, while the same type, is a different physical blade.

5 Replies 5

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Just do a copy & paste onto notepad, then perform a search and replace.

For instance, if your current faulty module is 3 and it's a gigabit interface, then you have:

interface gigabitethernet 3/1

interface gigabitethernet 3/2

and so on

while the new module is on slot 4, then on notepad search and replace 3/ instance with 4/ instance.

Once done, paste the new portion of the file onto the switch.

heh, I wasn't thinking. doing show run on this expands it so much that I was thinking it should be more complicated.

can you answer my other question though, would simply putting this module in the same slot as the dead module work or would the set commands need to be replied.

Please post the module type from the faulty and newly acquired module. You mentioned the module number isn't exactly the same, what differs ? Port Density or interface type ?

Modules are the same exact type, WS-x6148-RJ45V. What isn't the same are things like MAC numbers associated to ports the Hw: in "show vers" is different was 3.0 new one has 1.8 but Fw and Sw are the same, board SN is different also. I am just curious to know if that matters to the chasis and config or if I were to remove the old blade and put the new one in it's place would the chasis operate as normal or require me to configure that new blade. If it were a different blade type then I would expect that I would have to configure the port set up.

Remove the old blade and inset the new blade, the running-config will remain the same. The switch will update the hardware information automatically. It's that simple.

It's always recommended to backup your config, though.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card