Views
Helpful
Replies

VTP Domain

pselva2000
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

we have 2 switches one switch is configured as vtp domain other switch Iam suppose to configured as client, by mistake i have configured as server, since this second switch is brand new, vtp server switch has gone down.VLAN is not comming up, however config is not changed in server switch.but VLAN is not comming up, can any one help me in this

thanks

selvakumar

6 Replies 6

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Set the new switch as client and then you have to go to the server switch and recreate the vlan , sounds like you inserted a new switch with a higher vtp config revision number and you overwrote the vlan database on the original server switch . To reset the config revision number to default give the client a vtp domain name something other than what you want to use and then set it back to the correct vtp domain name this should set the client as 0 for config revision and it won't overwrite if you insert the client back on to the net.

server---trunk-----> client switch

vtp domain name xxxx for both switches

Hi

Thanks for your help you mean do I need to change the revision number

Thanks

selva

Hi

Thanks problem got resolved.I have recreated all VLAN's

Hi

Thanks I have recreated VLAN's it is working now

luismarinaray
Level 1
Level 1

Selvakumar,

By default, each switch is a VTP Server,

recommended practice to insert a new switch in an already configured VTP Domain, is to promote your switch as a client, and add to your domain, so your Vlan information database is not erased, after that you could promote your switch as a server. By your post probably, you have already erased your vlan information by your new switch. I think that you will need to retype this information.

Hi

Thanks mate, problem got resolved and it is working now

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card