CCIE Study track

Unanswered Question
Dec 26th, 2007

Hi everyone,

I just started in the forum and First and foremost would like to commend the Forum moderators for a great job. I am getting ready to start on my CCIE track, and there are some things I am still not clear on concerning lab topology. I did go over the threads here but it gets confusing because even on the cisco site, the device requirement is not clear and apparently we can get by studying with sub-standard equipment than what is on the boot champ and Cisco LAB. If I'm correct, can somebody guide me on what cheaper/legacy (router/switches/PIX) to buy and still be able to complete more than 90% of the task? Or is it even possible to mix with a couple of new ones? Here is what i have:

1 Pix501

1 1910 Sw

2 2950-24 Sw

1 3550-48 sw (EMI)

2 2611XM

1 3640 router

1 2501 router

All with the highest IOS supported.

Please advice...

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 4 (2 ratings)
ccbootcamp Wed, 12/26/2007 - 21:07

Are you studying for CCIE security or R&S? I'm guessing by the pix501 it's security, but please confirm and I'll interject additional comments. For the mean time, I would at minimum suggest a frame-switch of some sort (like a 2522 router) and a terminal server (like a 2511).

(please rate the post if this helps!)

emmanuel.doh Wed, 12/26/2007 - 21:18

Sorry. It's for R&S lab. I do have a NM-1E2W and a NM-4A/S serial that i was thinking of using on the 3640 as the Frame relay. The PIX was just part of my inventory and not for any specific lab. Thanks in advance.

ccbootcamp Wed, 12/26/2007 - 21:26

Sure, you can use the 4A/S for your frame-switch. You wont need the pix. :) Add a 2511 and you will be in pretty good shape and have a very nice home lab!!!

(please rate the post if this helps!)

Hi There

If I could also add that it may be worth your while checking out Dynamips/Dynagen for some of your routing labs (as switches are not really supported in this software).

This software allows you to run real IOS software on a PC to emulate real routers, so the full range of commands should be available.

I have not used this software but I have read some great reports from CCIE candidates who use it to great effect, like installing it on a laptop and going through labs on train journey to/from work etc. With a well specc'ed laptop (dual core, 2/4GB RAM) you can apparently run a decent sized lab and take your lab with you where ever you go :)

Currently I am studying for my CCNP and think I have a home lab which is sufficient for this purpose though I am looking for some more equipment :) but I am also going to upgrade to 4GB of RAM in my laptop in the new year and check this out.

Just something to think about and possibly check out.

Best Regards,

emmanuel.doh Thu, 12/27/2007 - 18:02

Thanks for the infos... I'll check that out... Maybe get a refurb laptop from Dell just for that:).

This Discussion