Views
Helpful
Replies

Preventing AS5300 from sending SNMP linkup/linkdown traps

limtohsoon
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Sir,

I have a Cisco AS5300 access server (IOS 12.0(7)T) which is configured to send SNMP traps. The SNMP trap global config commands are as follows:

!

snmp-server trap-source Loopback0

snmp-server enable traps snmp

snmp-server host 10.10.10.10 cisco123 snmp

!

The command "snmp-server enable traps snmp" does not have the optional keywords "linkup" or "linkdown".

All the Serialx:15, Group-Async, and Dialer interfaces are configured with the command "no snmp trap link-status".

However the NMS staff still claim that they receive SNMP traps from this router whenever remote users dial in and disconnect.

What's the workaround to prevent the router from sending SNMP traps for linkup/linkdown condition? I was under the impression that the interface config command "no snmp trap link-status" should fix the problem.

Please advise.

Thank you.

B.Rgds,

Lim TS

2 Replies 2

limtohsoon
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Sir,

What's the relationship between the notification types in the "snmp-server enable traps" command and the notification types in the "snmp-server host" command?

E.g.

Scenario 1

----------

snmp-server enable traps bgp

snmp-server host 10.10.10.10 cisco123 hsrp

Scenario 2

----------

snmp-server host 10.10.10.10 cisco123 snmp

Scenario 3

----------

snmp-server host 10.10.10.10 cisco123

In Scenario 1, no HSRP notification is sent to host 10.10.10.10 because globally only BGP notification is enabled. Am I right?

I don't understand Scenario 2.

In Scenario 3, the router will sent all notification types but is limited to BGP. Am I right?

Thank you.

B.Rgds,

Lim TS

In scenario 1 and 2, no traps should be send to the host configured. If you have only enabled bgp traps in both instances nothing will be sent.

In scenario 3 bgp traps will be sent

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: