cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

2600 Encapsulation ERROR!!!! Help Me PLease!!!

Charlie Mayes
Level 1
Level 1

Whenever I try to configure my sub interface on my ethernet port with a IP ADDRESS I get the message below. I have tried several routers and all of them give me the same ERROR. 2620, 2610 and 2620

Configuring IP routing on a LAN subinterface is only allowed if that

subinterface is already configured as part of an IEEE 802.10, IEEE 802.1Q,

or ISL vLAN.

9 Replies 9

steve.busby
Level 5
Level 5

Before you add the IP address configure the subinterface as a dot1q trunk.

interface type slot/port.subinterface-number

encapsulation dot1q vlan-id

ip address

HTH

Steve

david.macia
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

inside the configuration in the interface, put this command:

encapsulation dot1q vlan XXX

XXX = vlan number

After this, you can put the ip address in the interface.

Merry Christmas!

The encapsulation command is not available I checked for it by using the ? symbol.

I'm sorry, not in interface. Put encapsulation command in subinterface...

I knew what you meant earlier. I did try it in the sub-interface. I used the ? symbol and the encap command was not available. Thanks for your help.

Hi Friend,

Check you image as you need to have minimum IP PLUS feature set image loaded on your router to suppotr encaosulation command.

HTH

Ankur

*Pls rate all helpfull post

How do I find how what image has the IP PLUS? Is there a link on Cisco's site that will tell me what IOS will include it for my 2620? You have been really helpful.

Charlie

If you post the output of show version, there is information included in the file name that will normally tell which feature set of code you are running.

You may use the Feature Navigator on the Cisco site to investigate what versions and feature sets of code for 2620 support the encapsulation command:

www.cisco.com/go/fn

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Thanks rburts and everyone else for your help. I think the IOS I does not have the encapsulation features I need to setup router on a stick. I also found that I need more memory to load the IOS that does. Thanks again for all your help. This site is great.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: