Helpful
Replies

X2 and XENPACK Transceivers

david.macia
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have very questions about X2 and XENPAK transceivers:

1) Can i connect a X2 trans with Xenpak trans?

2) Can I connect a X2-CX4 with Xenpak X2-LX4?

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

1)X2 and Xenpak optics differ in form factor only (X2 is a bit smaller). You can connect an X2 to a Xenpak as long as the optics are of the same transceiver type. Both have SC connectors (less the X2-CX4 which uses InfiniBand connectors).

Note that the newer LRM specification (Long Reach Multimode) is only available in X2 format. However, LX4 (4 x 2.5Gb wavelengths) is available as both X2 & Xenpak.

2) No. The X2-CX4 (IEEE 802.3ak) module uses CX4 cable (copper) whereas the X2-LX4 (IEEE 802.3ae) uses multimode fibre, either 62.5 or 50 micron.

Hope that helps...

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

bwilmoth
Level 5
Level 5

The DWDM XENPAK transceivers are hot-swappable input/output devices that plug into a 10Gigabit Ethernet port, linking the module port with the fiber-optic network

http://cisco.com/en/US/docs/interfaces_modules/transceiver_modules/installation/note/78_16638.html

1)X2 and Xenpak optics differ in form factor only (X2 is a bit smaller). You can connect an X2 to a Xenpak as long as the optics are of the same transceiver type. Both have SC connectors (less the X2-CX4 which uses InfiniBand connectors).

Note that the newer LRM specification (Long Reach Multimode) is only available in X2 format. However, LX4 (4 x 2.5Gb wavelengths) is available as both X2 & Xenpak.

2) No. The X2-CX4 (IEEE 802.3ak) module uses CX4 cable (copper) whereas the X2-LX4 (IEEE 802.3ae) uses multimode fibre, either 62.5 or 50 micron.

Hope that helps...

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card