Helpful
Replies

X2 and XENPACK Transceivers

david.macia
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have very questions about X2 and XENPAK transceivers:

1) Can i connect a X2 trans with Xenpak trans?

2) Can I connect a X2-CX4 with Xenpak X2-LX4?

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

1)X2 and Xenpak optics differ in form factor only (X2 is a bit smaller). You can connect an X2 to a Xenpak as long as the optics are of the same transceiver type. Both have SC connectors (less the X2-CX4 which uses InfiniBand connectors).

Note that the newer LRM specification (Long Reach Multimode) is only available in X2 format. However, LX4 (4 x 2.5Gb wavelengths) is available as both X2 & Xenpak.

2) No. The X2-CX4 (IEEE 802.3ak) module uses CX4 cable (copper) whereas the X2-LX4 (IEEE 802.3ae) uses multimode fibre, either 62.5 or 50 micron.

Hope that helps...

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

bwilmoth
Level 5
Level 5

The DWDM XENPAK transceivers are hot-swappable input/output devices that plug into a 10Gigabit Ethernet port, linking the module port with the fiber-optic network

http://cisco.com/en/US/docs/interfaces_modules/transceiver_modules/installation/note/78_16638.html

1)X2 and Xenpak optics differ in form factor only (X2 is a bit smaller). You can connect an X2 to a Xenpak as long as the optics are of the same transceiver type. Both have SC connectors (less the X2-CX4 which uses InfiniBand connectors).

Note that the newer LRM specification (Long Reach Multimode) is only available in X2 format. However, LX4 (4 x 2.5Gb wavelengths) is available as both X2 & Xenpak.

2) No. The X2-CX4 (IEEE 802.3ak) module uses CX4 cable (copper) whereas the X2-LX4 (IEEE 802.3ae) uses multimode fibre, either 62.5 or 50 micron.

Hope that helps...

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card