Unanswered Question
Dec 28th, 2007


connecting a router(not adsl router with integrated modem etc) with a pc on router's lan interface what kind of cable will needed? a crossover or a straight one?

my book and the exam engine has diferent opinion on this :)


I have this problem too.
0 votes
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
chmoschos Fri, 12/28/2007 - 12:17

that one has my select also..but the exam enginee assume that router can detect the wrong cable and autoswitch the pins...?

thank for the answer :)

mnorwood Fri, 12/28/2007 - 12:45

It's probably referencing the media-dependent interface with crossover detection (MDIX) capability that certain hardware can support. You would use the "mdix auto" command and that would allow you to plug in both types of cable. It would auto-detect it and change up the port as needed. This is fairly common on a lot of new low end switches as well.

I am not sure of the specific types of hardware that support this. I believe the list below is fairly accurate, but don't hold me to that. I'm not sure if any of the pure router platforms in the 3800, 2800, 1800, 800 series or earlier support it. Someone else can weigh in if they know for sure.






2950, 2960

Hope this helps.

Hi There

If you are studying for the CCNA and you are using the material for the new exam and it states that the correct cable to use is a crossover cable, then this is what I would answer on the exam.

Of course there is equipment that can auto detect what cable was plugged in and cross the pins if required, but if this is not what you are shown in the prep material then personally I would not choose it on exam day.

Just my 2c worth.

Best Regards,



This Discussion