cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Building a "WAN" in a lab environment

f1jsb79
Level 1
Level 1

I have been asked to build a test lab environment that looks like our production environment. I thought I would use policy and shaping commands on several VLANs in my 6500 to emulate T-1's and DS3's. Any suggestions? I realize I won't be able to get circuit delay, but I should be able to get traffic to buffer, right?

Thanks,

-Steve

6 Replies 6

Collin Clark
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You could use an Adtran Atlas. They simulate and physical connects for frame/T1/DS3.etc.

There are a number of products such as LANForge ICE and Shunra that will emulate WAN performance. These will do both bandwidth adjustments as well as RTT delay and even jitter and packet loss, so you can emulate a "good" WAN and then a "bad" WAN.

Perhaps I should clarify.. I'm trying to do this with existing equipment in a very short timeframe. As far as I know, this is a "one shot deal" so no need to invest in serious simulation equipment.

I'm looking for guidance on the policy and shaping commands.

-thanks

if dynamic routing is involved, why not just use the bandwidth command on the interface? in the right scenario that would be just as effective.

That was actually my first thought, but the way I understand that bandwidth statement, it applies to costing and not actual throughput.

True, "bandwidth" won't do actual throughput. You should be able to use the interface "speed" command, at least on serial ports.

If you need to limit speed on ethernet, throw a couple old 2500 routers together and use their serial ports with "speed 64000" or something, and put that setup between the normally-ethernet-connected units. Now your "WAN" between the ethernet ports is 64k.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card