cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WLC failover

scottrunyon
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to configure the primary and secondary controllers name in order the have AP failover. I have assigned the intial controller IP with DHCP, then if convert the AP to a static addess and configure a different conroller on AP detail page and then reset the AP it will still connect to the same controller.

When I look at the APs config I see the origianl controller is listed as Configured Switch 1 Addr the controller I set as primary controller name is set as mwarName. It seems as something is not working correctly.

5 Replies 5

dancampb
Level 7
Level 7

For AP's to failover to another controller you need to make sure that AP fallback is enabled on the controller and also make sure the controllers are in the same mobility group.

Please correct me if i am wrong, but as far as i know AP fallback is used to tell the AP to switch back to the primary controller after failover, when his configured primary comes back online again?

You are correct, but you need to configure the WLC's in the mobility group in order for AP Failover. Once an ap first joins a WLC it keeps the ip of the controller and the info set in the mobility group. The secondary WLC info is kept in the mobility group in which you have not configured so the AP only knows of the controller it first joined.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Ofcouse, the mobility group is mandantory for AP failover to work.

But AP fallback is something else...

Your AP's are on a different vlan than the controllers and that is why your ap is joining the original WLC.

You have to cofigure ip-helper pointing to both the management ip address of your WLC. Of course you know this has to be configured on the L3 interface your AP's are on. You also have to configure globally ip forward-protocol udp 12222 a 12223.

Now as long as AP fallback is configured, your ap will join its primary WLC configured.

Hope this helps.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card