cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

AP will only associate with ONE controller

lynne.meeks
Level 1
Level 1

We have 4 WiSM controllers; one of which is defined as the the Master Controller.

After APs have joined the Master Controller, we have changed some of them to use another controller as their primary controller. Even though the WCS shows these APs as having a different primary controller, ALL our APs are still associated with the one controller.

This persists despite rebooting the APs, and we can now no longer add any new APs to our wireless LWAPP network.

How do we get the APs to actually associate with their defined primary controller?

thanks..

8 Replies 8

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Lynne,

Can you please try disabling the "Master Controller Mode" and then rebooting the AP's.

There are some good tips in this doc;

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/access_point/1200/installation/guide/120h_f.html

Hope this helps!

Rob

dancampb
Level 7
Level 7

Make sure the controllers are in the same mobility group. When defining the primary/secondary controller the AP will only move if the controllers are in the same mobility group.

thanks Dan.

Yes we did check that and they are...

kfccolonel
Level 1
Level 1

You can usually get stubborn LAP's to move by defining in DNS the standard CISCO LWAPP CONTROLLER dns entry and pointing it to the controller you want the LAP to move to. Then reboot the LAP.

Once it moves, it will usually follow the primary/secondary settings it has.

I then remove the DNS entry.

I have found that sometimes, LAP's just won't go to the primary controller defined in the setup unless I use that DNS entry.

Well, that turned out to be part of the answer.

We ended up adding ALL the controllers in DNS so a query for the CISCO LWAPP CONTROLLER returns all 4 IPs.

We also had to configure the mobility group on each controller. Even though I had changed these from the WCS, and the WCS shows the mobility group information as it should be -- the change on the WCS didn't 'take'; I had to make the mobility group changes on each controller.

It is not terribly obvious to me when one can make changes on the WCS and when you need to make the changes on the controllers-- seems to me that if the WCS allows you the option to configure the controllers it should really do it!

Thanks all for your assistance.

I'm curious when you added multiple DNS entries have the AP's then landed on their local controller or the first IP address for this DNS entry.

The APs will associate with whichever controller we have specified as their primary controller.

We are currently having some issues with being able to actually change the primary controller on some APs, however. We connect to the AP and change the primary controller, and then apply the change. This seems to work; there are no errors - but when we check back the change hasn't 'stuck', and they still list the original controller as their primary controller, not the one we changed it to.

This only happens to a few APs which were associated with one particular controller that seems to have some issues.

That issue aside, the APs are associating with the primary controller they are configured with.

Lynne

This too has been the only effective way I've been able to get stubborn AP's back on their primary controller. I'm wondering if anyone has had better luck with the option 43?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: