Views
Helpful
Replies

a strange problem, 3750's IOS dhcp, client nic in PXE

jan xuan
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, All.

A new 3750-24TS switch arrived in our office these days. I want to remove our DHCP server from the Win-based win2000 server onto this new switch. When i issue some IOS command such like "ip dhcp", "dhcp pool",,,etc, one client's NIC directly connected to 3750 can get a dynamic IP (verified from 3750's output with "show dhcp binding")during pxe boot. But, this new IP can't communicate with Tftp server( with manually permenent fixed IP, and directly connect to this 3750 switch port), so the pxe boot procedure hung at "PXE-E32, TFTP open timeout".Mean while I cannot ping this unique ip of the NIC.

Apart from above small amount newly issued IOS command, I believe near almost every other setting still remain in default state.

Again, we have only one network like 192.168.1.0 255.255.255.0

can you tell me how can i deploy this IOS dhcp server and insure those DHCP client obtain from this server can "talk" correctly?

thanks in advance.

Best regards.

janxuan

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello,

Please check the IP address setting on your PXE server and compare to the DHCP pool on your switch. Also check that the ports are in the correct VLAN (same VLAN if you use only one subnet, if multiple subnets are used multiple L3 VLANs are needed). Check the status of the configured VLAN is it in up and up state (show ip interface brief), if not please check that the VLAN is properly defined in the VLAN database, show vlan brief (you can define VLAN on VTP server or transparent devices).

DHCP:

ip dhcp pool DHCP-POOL

network 192.168.1.0 255.255.255.0

domain-name local.net

default-router 192.168.1.254

dns-server "your DNS server"

bye

FCS

Please rate me if I helped.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

PAUL TRIVINO
Level 3
Level 3

Hard to say without the switch config - we'd need to look at the DHCP pool config and the vlans on the ports, at minimum. Can you post the config (scrubbed of passwords, etc.) for us?

Paul

Hello,

Please check the IP address setting on your PXE server and compare to the DHCP pool on your switch. Also check that the ports are in the correct VLAN (same VLAN if you use only one subnet, if multiple subnets are used multiple L3 VLANs are needed). Check the status of the configured VLAN is it in up and up state (show ip interface brief), if not please check that the VLAN is properly defined in the VLAN database, show vlan brief (you can define VLAN on VTP server or transparent devices).

DHCP:

ip dhcp pool DHCP-POOL

network 192.168.1.0 255.255.255.0

domain-name local.net

default-router 192.168.1.254

dns-server "your DNS server"

bye

FCS

Please rate me if I helped.

Thank you Dear FCS,

At the initial stage of configuration, we also compare those two kinds of DHCP server, and,,, but anyway, the final results give me the correct answer: the NDIS2 driver shiped with the trash NIC card can't be used at all. When we replaced it with Intel 100M pro NIC, every thing is ok.

But thank you again for your kindly hint, here is my rated post.

Best regards.

janxuan

Dear Paul,

Thank you for your reply week ago. Later these days , we finally found that the Ndis2 driver pushed by the PXE server end crushed at all, and this crushed driver can't be loaded normally by the NIC at the client end. Now we changed to use the Intel 100-pro nic, so every things is OK.

By the way, the origin NIC we used is Realtek 8111B/8168C 1000M NIC, a trash bin NIC ? :) Just a Joking.

Thank you again for your help.

Best regards.

janxuan

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card